Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i drive deeply to the empty. like below the red pretty much. i have changed like everything. fuel filter air filter spark plugs cleaned throttle body everything!!! what else can it be!

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
If you have a V6, i think you might be spot on.

what year and engine do you have? Any mods? are you driving up and down many hills in CA? if is all flat? what sea level are you at? All these things are will contribute in your MPG.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,463 Posts
What year car?
How many miles?
Which engine and drive train?
Scan for trouble codes and post the list of code numbers here in this thread.
100% stock or modified?
Stock wheels or not?
Did this car get better mileage before and just recently started getting worse mileage or are you new to this car?

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,271 Posts
Clean the MAF, if you have low enough miles change the transmission fluid and filter, Techron, correct tire pressure.

I can get 350 miles on one tank with my V6, normally around 315 or so.

·
Registered
605 Posts
i drive deeply to the empty. like below the red pretty much. i have changed like everything. fuel filter air filter spark plugs cleaned throttle body everything!!! what else can it be!
My first guess is O2 sensor(s) or temp sensor

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,880 Posts
put an OBDII scanner of some sort on it and scan it for codes, then post them up here.

I usually get 360 miles/tank, and the low fuel warning usually doesn't come on by then.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol im 19. i dont drive like a maniac 24/7 but sometimes i do. but not enough to give me 100 miles less a tank lol. i have a vag com. i check for codes almost every month. i had a bad oxygen sensor so i changed it. pre cat. right now i have no codes. i have cleaned my maf a few times already. i have a k&n air filter. i dont have a CEL. i drive all city. on the highway if i drive straight for about 6 hours i can get like 350 for a full tank. i use highest octane in my city. i live pretty close to sea level here in california. i just recently tore apart my intake manifold changed all the gaskets and cleaned a lot of crap including breather assembly etc. cleaned throttle body spotless. i usually change my spark plugs almost every month lol my brother works at oriely so i get them like 2 bucks a piece and i like to keep my car running good. i have a 1998 1.8t aeb automatic tranny. i just got a used tranny and changed the filter and fluid. i also dropped my oil pan, cleaned of crud, cleaned pick up filter. ive changed the timing belt tensiorer lol ive done about 98% of maintanance on my car. pretty much all i have left is all exhaust side gaskets. if anything else was wrong my vag com would tell me wouldnt it? maybe it is my maf and vagcom thinks its ok?? ever since ive had my car ive gotten this gas mileage but ive only had it for two years.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The city driving is what's killing your economy. I'm pretty much in the same boat. Filled up the car to the tune of $55 tonight... so I feel your pain. I've been taking a closer look at A3's and A4's in the 2007 range (I think that's when the 2.0t hit ~21mpg city). The newest ones get a few mpg better, but I'm honestly not willing to spend 2x the cost on a newer car.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.