Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am on my way to work, which has a very slight downhill at times. WIth my stock 15's I would top off at 33 mpg, but today I drive in with my new 18's and I get up to 38 mpg. Is this expected or is my car still learning or reprogramming itself with the bigger, heavier wheels. Here are the stats on my new wheels. On the streets befre getting on the freeway I was getting about 16 mpg.

18x8 (27 lbs rim)
235/40/18 Khumo 712 tires
Total weight is 52 lbs (7 more than my 15's)

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
134 Posts
You don't mean actual mileage right? just what the computer displays?
I have just installed 18s (also 52lbs) and after 2 tanks of gas have no real mpg difference.
On my ride home I get 33-34 mpg (displayed)for about 20 miles of the drive (constant 70mph) no hills.
but once I hit town it drops to give me an average of 26mpg per tank (actual).

Peter

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, thats what my computer says. I tried resetting it once I got off the freeway and then it started jumping around, like it wasn't caculating the average. Like it was on the non-average milage mode. I will see how it does in a few more takes of gas.

Kevin

·
Registered
254 Posts
When running the 15" steelies and Blizzak tires on my B5 (AWE K04'd) it read about 41mpg (incorrect due to the 5-bar FPR) on the highway drive to work. After I installed my 18's (50lbs) my mileage has dropped to 33mpg or so indicated. I think I'm getting more like 28-29mpg in real life by calculating total miles and gallons used.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Did you take wind into account? Maybe someone was pushing you :weirdo: . :p Wait, maybe your new wheels are spinners and they were spinning enough lift for you to float? :poke:
Couldn't resist. I just went to 18's and my mileage dropped from about 30 to 27.3 average on a 380 mile trip. The whole way I was speeding moderately :wink:, right after getting my suspension and Chas bar installed; I averaged about 4000 rpm on the freeway so my fuel economy could have been higher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
CalgaryB5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing