Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much should it cost me at the stealership? I have a couple leaks that are getting fixed under warranty(gasket,cam seals or something, i cant remember right now, i apologize.) and they offered to change my belt, and they said they only can change it in a kit. the belt,tensioner, and water pump. This is going to cost me 1000 dollars, is that normal or should I even open my mouth when im writing out the check for 1100 dollars. god this pisses me off so much because that money could be going to so much other things

just read up on somethings and the price is right. sigh

·
Registered
178 Posts
how much should it cost me at the stealership? I have a couple leaks that are getting fixed under warranty(gasket,cam seals or something, i cant remember right now, i apologize.) and they offered to change my belt, and they said they only can change it in a kit. the belt,tensioner, and water pump. This is going to cost me 1000 dollars, is that normal or should I even open my mouth when im writing out the check for 1100 dollars. god this pisses me off so much because that money could be going to so much other things

just read up on somethings and the price is right. sigh
Find a good indy. I was quoted $1100.00 at my local dealer. Taking a 1/2 drive this morning to get it done for $600.00. All quality parts (metal impeller water pump,etc.) included.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Most dealers tend to be north of $1,000 while you can find some independent shops between $500 and $1,000. If you are mechanically inclined, and can find a friend who has done it before, the two of you can do it for the price of parts (about 350.00) and beer.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,135 Posts
What engine? That affects the price a bit. My dealer is typically pretty cheap; wants $725 for my 1.8T, because the ATW doesn't run the water pump from the timing belt. Other 1.8's he quotes $980. Thousand at a dealer actually isn't bad.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Yeah, definitely look up an indy. Check out the dealership section of PW and see if there is an indy mechanic doing TB changes near you.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If they are tearing the car apart and doing repairs under warranty and offering to do the timing belt while the engine is apart it seems they should only be charging you for the kit...and $1100 seems to be a lot for the kit.
They may be trying to get over on you if thats the case, to make up for money lost doing the work thats covered.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If they are tearing the car apart and doing repairs under warranty and offering to do the timing belt while the engine is apart it seems they should only be charging you for the kit...and $1100 seems to be a lot for the kit.
They may be trying to get over on you if thats the case, to make up for money lost doing the work thats covered.
x2! Could well be they need to remove the belt to do the other repairs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, all-in-all, it isn't that hard to R&R the timing belt and water pump, etc. But it is not something I would have wanted to do outside in this cold weather and 25-30 mph winds! :rolleyes:

I got to the indy shop about 9:00 AM and it was around 9:30 by the time he got it in the shop and started turning wrenches. I watched the entire procedure and provided some assistance when an extra set of hands came in handy. It was installed and running by 1:30.

The old belt looked pretty good, but there were tiny cracks starting to form in between about every third tooth. It probably would have lasted several thousand miles more, but better safe than sorry.

Having the nifty tool that threads into one of the bumper mount support holes that allows you to slide the radiator and all that crap forward without removing it was a big help. You could make them with all-thread, but his were from Audi and then worked great.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Definitely get a good indy... just had mine done about a month ago for $750 with tax (water pump impeller broke and engine started to get hot at hwy speed). The owner even loaned me one of his cars to get to work in about 40 minutes away! Plus, I really dislike our VW dealers in the RDU area.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i agree to that, and im gonna mention that but owell, whats done is done isuppose, i doubt when i go to pick it up, they are gonna lower the price, but i guess it wont hurt.

·
Registered
836 Posts
i agree to that, and im gonna mention that but owell, whats done is done isuppose, i doubt when i go to pick it up, they are gonna lower the price, but i guess it wont hurt.
just ask them why youre being charged the full parts+labor for the timing belt when they have to tear that part of the engine apart for the warranty work anyway. there should at least be some overlap in the cost of labor...$1100 is not pocket change.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
agreed, I would try to negotiate on that price.

That being said, $1100 seems to be the standard dealer rate for doing ONLY the timing belt work. At least that's what they just gouged me for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i just had an indy r&r my radiator, thermostat, and coolant reservoir. when i told him how many miles on my 04 passat 1.8T i said ~65k he asked when i did the timing belt and i said i hadn't yet. he quoted me 825 to do timing belt, serpentine belts, water pump (with metal impeller), rollers and dampener. seems like a decent price from what other people are saying here.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,475 Posts
yes, decent.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
If you decide to do independent, first step, buy the parts at Parts4VW.com. They have a "Complete" kit for just $275:

http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=058198400

"Save when you buy everything Kit includes, Timing Belt, Tensioner, Tensioner Roller, Idler Roller, Complete with Housing Hepu OE Water Pump, Thermostat, A/C, P/S, Alternator Belts"

camshaft seal: http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=038103085C

valve cover seal (guessing): http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=058198025A

So for about $307, you should have everything.

HTH

Have the indy fix the leaky part.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts