Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, going to pick up my 2002 GLS sedan (high mileage, but checks out well with my independant mechanic). It seems the pervious owner has made a few modifications to the car; most notably the tail lights have been swapped for an odd euro-style, and the dark cloth interrior seems to have a weird faux-ivory trim around the air vents, center console, and has added an xm-radio system/dock to the monsoon cd player.

Speaking of the radio, it seems they have provided me with an aux jack and a dc input that i may be able to adapt for my ipod (aux is already there, any ideas for making an ipod charger from the power adapter?)
I hope to find someone in the area with a vag-com to add sport mode and the cool window keyfob trick.

The ad is still online with pics if you want me to post it, but i will add pics as soon as i take it home and clean it up real good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
allrightythen... all i have right now are the dealer photos, but after i get it and clean it up a bit i'll post real pics

and there you have it...

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
congrats...if it's a 1.8t, then i hope you have bulletproof maintenance records showing vw 502.00 oils used every 5k.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,717 Posts
tails are not my style would probably look better with a little tint, but the car looks good i like the silver becuase it disguises the crome a little better.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, i didn't realize the taillights were like that until i started looking online at others, but i think it's slightly better than stock. After a thorough washing, the baby shines!

The previous owner left a lot of information in the glove compartment (could probably steal their id if i was into that kind of thing), and i think they'd notice me if i flew past em with their aftermarket taillights. :)

As i just quit my job to go off to college, i won't have money for any mods, but any ideas for really cheap things to do to it?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I have a set of those tail lights but mine are black instead of chrome in the housing. They are only on my car now because I am about to ship out my stock ones to Jons to get tinted.

·
Registered
361 Posts
welcome, im a fellow college kid and got my 03 1.8t earlier this summer. some cheap/free mods to fix her up that i did are debadge the trunk (esp the dealer tags) cut the antenna so it doesnt look like a RC car and one i plan on doing soon is smoking the side markers and the tail lights.

theres tons of at home mods you can do to make it more powerful and stand out from the other passat on this site

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

there you have it, drives like a beast, especially in tip mode... the interior needs to be cleaned next, and the exterior has a few scratches here and there, (but at 96k miles who doesn't?)

I'm still trying to figure out how to adapt the delphi xm adapter for my ipod, when it's plugged into the dock's line out jack, i'm not sure what to do with the headunit to listen to my pod. Switching to cd changer yields "no disc", and pushing CD twice does nothing, anyone know? Also, it seems i have have one tail light burnt out, and the back-up lights are missing from the sockets... whatever, i got some packing to do, goin to school tomorrow

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that'd be great, but i'd like to use the delphi adapter that's currently there, if it's not possible to do, i'll probably get one of those

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so yeah, i took my new baby in for a pre-purchase inspection and my mechanic (whom i haven't had a problem with) ok'ed it. The day i took those pics, it turns out that some of the tail lights are missing, and the sockets don't work, the factory ones kept blowing fuses (says the maint. logs). I'm taking it back to see what they can do (it's missing both backup lights, one tail light, and one of 4 brake lights)

and a second thing, what should i call her? So far i've come up with Anja (on-yuh) but aren't enthused about it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! I say keep your tail lights but tint them ASAP, it'll look SIK..Also debadging wouldn't hurt either..
WELCOME TO THE CLUB

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Welcome to the club. I agree with this statement^

def tint those tails. You will be one of the first to do it as i havent really seen anyone with em. Hell you might even start a trend :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts