Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im chipping my v6 soon (plz save me the "minimal if any gains" speech) and i was wondering what are the biggest problems i could run in to?

Is it possible for my car to not start up if the chip goes "bad"?
It will still give me codes if the CEL goes on right?

Im driving a considerable distance to get it done and i dont want to endup that the trip was useless.

I just want to be ready for a worst case scenerio..TIA

·
Registered
27,360 Posts
Generally there are very few problems. There were a few chips that had bad solder on the sockets, but they seem to be few and far between now.

Everything else should be normal.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
after it's done, I'd be interested in knowing what kind of gas mileage you get, especially if you have to drive a considerable distance home after.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
im chipping my v6 soon (plz save me the "minimal if any gains" speech) and i was wondering what are the biggest problems i could run in to?

Im driving a considerable distance to get it done and i dont want to endup that the trip was useless.

no probs with chipping in gerneral as long as your car is in a healthy status. or else more spirited driving in effort to butt dyno the chip gains will magnify any existing problems.

like pz said people had problems due to bad solders and sockets. now that more people use flashes the procedure is pretty faultless.

it'll still give you codes when you have a cel.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
chip question

hey im new here but what do you have any suggestions about chips??
brands--$$

·
Registered
104 Posts
if you have a flash and then need dealer service, won't it be possible for them to reflash your car back to oem (without your wishing to)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts