Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Math fun! :p

My son brought home a review sheet from math today and there is one question on it that I can't seem to answer! So, who can tell me the correct answer and why? Here's the question:

A rectangle is never a ________.
a.) parallelogram
b.) square
c.) rhombus
d.) quadrilateral
e.) polygon

My thinking is that a rectangle is, sometimes, all of these things. Am I missing something here? :???:

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
Let's see...

rectangle - a four-sided figure with four right angles and with two pairs of parallel sides
parallelogram - a quadrilateral with opposite sides parallel and equal in length
square - parallelogram with four congruent sides and four right angles
rhombus - plane figure with four straight sides of equal length; a parallelogram with equal sides
quadrilateral - a polygon that has four sides
polygon - a closed plane figure formed by three or more line segments that do not cross over each other

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, so a rectangle is always a polygon -- it is a closed plane figure with at least three sides.
It is always a quadrilateral -- it's a polygon with four sides.
It is always a parallelogram -- it's opposite sides are parallel and equal in length.
It can be a rhombus -- if it's four sides are equal in length.
It can be a square -- if it meets the rhombus test and its sides make four right angles.

Seems like there is no valid answer to the question.

·
Registered
364 Posts
A Square is a special rectanlge. There is no correct answer.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed. If it can't be a square, then it can't be a rhombus either.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Try math.com. I use it all the time when I do my college HW and need to convert Units. But they have good stuuf for High school and lower grades

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That's a typical math question, making you think yourself retarded.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
What is c) rhombus.

I'll take "stuff I shoulda forgotten from high school" for $400, Alex. :wink:

A rhombus is a parallelogram with oblique angles. Since a rectangle can only have right angles, a rectangle can never be a rhombus.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's interesting, because the definition I have seen for a rhombus is it is a parallelogram with all sides of equal length. If I take your definition, then a rhombus is just a parallelogram that is not also a rectangle.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
There is an answer... c)... imo
because a rhombus is a parallelogram with angles that *aren't* 90º and a rectangle is a parallelogram with angles that are *required* to be 90º.
the definition I have seen for a rhombus is it is a parallelogram with all sides of equal length
Wether or not a rhombus has all sides being of equal length, a rhombus is defined by not having right angles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The question is "A rectangle is never a ________." But it's poorly worded, and as such there can be multiple answers.

To say that a square is a rectangle is correct. To say that a rectangle is never a square is sort of correct, but because square is a rectangle... I hate to say this, but <clinton> it depends on what your interpretation of "is" is </clinton>.

c) is the most correct answer to the poorly worded question. A rectangle is never a rhombus, no matter what "is" means.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BlackB5inVA said:
To say that a rectangle is never a square is sort of correct, but because square is a rectangle... I hate to say this, but <clinton> it depends on what your interpretation of "is" is </clinton>.
My thought on this is that the definition of a rectangle does not preclude if from having all four sides of equal length. Therefore, it can also be a square.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts