Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find the gear ratio's for a 2004 B5.5 1.8t? I also would like to know at which MPH does each gear top out at.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Gear Ratio's

The gear ratios on my 2004 GLS 1.8T 5 spd 4motion are-
1st=3.78
2nd=2.18
3rd=1.43
4th=1.03
5th=.84
rev=3.44
final drive=3.70

My book says the automatic is-
1st=3.67
2nd=2.00
3rd=1.41
4th=1.00
5th=.74
rev=4.10
final ratio=3.73
As far as I know it is the same with 4motion
Al

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I<3myW8 said:
How would you reprogram the gear ratios in a Tip? I feel that for highway driving, the 5th gear isn't tall enough for what MPG it deserves. I'd like 0,64 please. According to my (probably wrong) calculations that would be [email protected] and [email protected] what?

Electronically? Because it's all rushing fluids in that there slushbox, isn't it?
. . .

gears are mechanical objects that can't be reprogramed . . . . . . . .

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I<3myW8 said:
How would you reprogram the gear ratios in a Tip? I feel that for highway driving, the 5th gear isn't tall enough for what MPG it deserves. I'd like 0,64 please. According to my (probably wrong) calculations that would be [email protected] and [email protected] what?

Electronically? Because it's all rushing fluids in that there slushbox, isn't it?
Gear ratios are determined by the geometry of a system of, err, gears, albeit in a much more complex arrangement than in a manual. Fluid controls the engagement of clutches that connect the gears to the input and output of the transmission. Changing the ratios in an auto is close enough to impossible that you shouldn't burn any more brain cells on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.