Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I have this Volkswagen 2004 passat wagon that the gear indicator all lit up when I move the gear. I recently changed the gear box cos of similar issue but it still persist. I tried changing gear selector switch, it worked after the first drive (though miss-selecting gears) then went back to selecting all gear on the indicator. I've also changed TCM but it still persists.
More so, I noticed that after driving for long if I put off the car and start it, it won't move even after selecting the gear.

What could be the issue pls, I need solution as am in love with the car already.

Thanks
Sammy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response, I really don't have one but someone has helped to scan and there seem to be no code found even with the check engine light turned on. I on my own tried to check all the electrical connectors and found dirts in them. I flushed them using WD-40 and the check engine light has gone off.

What I want to do now is flush the transmission lines cos am suspecting dirty transmission lines which is making my transmission oil heat up as I do perceive burnt smell after driving some distance. I hope this will help and I will give feedback afterwards.

Thanks.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,212 Posts
Reactions: Passat28V6

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At least top-up the ATF.
I suggest you replace the filter, pan gasket and ATF, for a start.

When checking/replacing ATF.
1. Car must be level.
2. Engine must be running.
3. ATF temp should be 35-45° C. (95-113° F)
4. Fill plug must be installed before switching the engine off.

ATF & Filter change.
At least top-up the ATF.
I suggest you replace the filter, pan gasket and ATF, for a start.

When checking/replacing ATF.
1. Car must be level.
2. Engine must be running.
3. ATF temp should be 35-45° C. (95-113° F)
4. Fill plug must be installed before switching the engine off.

ATF & Filter change.
taligentx.com: Passat - ATF & Filter Replacement
I've been advised to change the gear box which am planning on doing. I'll have these stuffs done with the new gear box. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
How would you know if the replacement gearbox is any better than what is in the car ?
You have incorrect gear ratio codes, this indicates low ATF, this could have caused damage, but not necessarily.
I would try an ATF top-up first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How would you know if the replacement gearbox is any better than what is in the car ?
You have incorrect gear ratio codes, this indicates low ATF, this could have caused damage, but not necessarily.
I would try an ATF top-up first.
Yh true but the oil keeps giving burning smell and will always fall out of gear. The reason for the change of gearbox is cos the car won't switch beyond gear one, when it attempts to switch it neutrals and the car engine Rev goes higher with the car stalling. Then without the gear brain box it won't move hence the reason for change of gear box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Please take the advice from Tomvw, it's very important first, I have 2005 b5.5 and did same as yours but managed to get it back same way he said, although I opened the bottom cover of the gear box and found that two long bolt loosen up and the magnet hold it up, I put them back and clean the filter then put everything back with new ATF fluid now it goes down fine. You in Abuja?

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Yh true but the oil keeps giving burning smell and will always fall out of gear. The reason for the change of gearbox is cos the car won't switch beyond gear one, when it attempts to switch it neutrals and the car engine Rev goes higher with the car stalling. Then without the gear brain box it won't move hence the reason for change of gear box.
Low ATF level would cause those problems.
If it has been driven much with low ATF, the gearbox is likely damaged.
But I would still try ATF top-up first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello guys,
I really want to believe that electrical issue is part of the problem am experiencing. The gear box has been installed after flushing the transmission lines and it seems to work better the previous one with 7litres of Hardex ATF in it.

What I observed now is that it changes gear going up and down even at steady acceleration then later selects all gear indicators.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Hello guys,
I really want to believe that electrical issue is part of the problem am experiencing. The gear box has been installed after flushing the transmission lines and it seems to work better the previous one with 7litres of Hardex ATF in it.

What I observed now is that it changes gear going up and down even at steady acceleration then later selects all gear indicators.
7 litres of ATF is not enough, did you top it up with the engine running ?
Does that ATF comply with the VW (ZF) specifications ?
Did you try the original transmission with an ATF top-up ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
7 litres of ATF is not enough, did you top it up with the engine running ?
Does that ATF comply with the VW (ZF) specifications ?
Did you try the original transmission with an ATF top-up ?
On checking it via put with leveled ground while the engine was running and the gear on N position, it turns out that the oil was excess with 1 litre.

The oil used was Hardex ATF.

With the P0706 code, I intend to change the Transmission Range Sensor. I hope this will help.

More so, on driving it selects from gears 1 to 5 (though with high between gear 3 and 4) then shift back to gear 3 after which all the gear indicators are selected. I could still drive the vehicle with speed of up to 140km/hrs with all the gear indicators selected. The mechanic fixing the car said I should drive it that the valves seems to be stucked (having been in store for long) and not working properly and that driving it will help the valves free up and work better. Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The valves are actually solenoids and they can stick and cause shifting issues. I've never heard of them being stuck because a car sat for a long time but I suppose it's possible.

I agree that changing range sensor makes sense, especially with the P0706 code.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
The should be about 9 litres of ATF in the transmission, with only 7 litres as you stated, it would be dangerously low.

When all gear indicators are lit up, the transmission will only operate in reverse and fourth gear.
Starting off in fourth gear puts a lot of strain on the torque converter, and should be avoided where possible.

I read your post that stated "with 7litres of Hardex ATF in it."
That is why I asked "Does that ATF comply with the VW (ZF) specifications ?"
Have you checked that Hardex ATF is compliant with the VW (ZF) specifications ?

You obviously have a problem with the Transmission Range Sensor or its wiring.
I would have started there, rather than messing with the transmission.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The valves are actually solenoids and they can stick and cause shifting issues. I've never heard of them being stuck because a car sat for a long time but I suppose it's possible.

I agree that changing range sensor makes sense, especially with the P0706 code.
OK thanks. I'll have the range sensor changed tomorrow and give us feedback. I so much appreciate all the response, you guys are the best.
The should be about 9 litres of ATF in the transmission, with only 7 litres as you stated, it would be dangerously low.

When all gear indicators are lit up, the transmission will only operate in reverse and fourth gear.
Starting off in fourth gear puts a lot of strain on the torque converter, and should be avoided where possible.

I read your post that stated "with 7litres of Hardex ATF in it."
That is why I asked "Does that ATF comply with the VW (ZF) specifications ?"
Have you checked that Hardex ATF is compliant with the VW (ZF) specifications ?

You obviously have a problem with the Transmission Range Sensor or its wiring.
I would have started there, rather than messing with the transmission.
Here are the codes found in the car now;

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts