Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've gotten my axle and TCM issues under control, I think my next course of action should be to work on the oil leaks. A few weeks after I purchased the car I did an oil change, and shortly afterwards my oil warning light came on and I found about 2/3rds of the oil I added was all over my engine bay. I was down the street from my house so I added oil and rolled back home with no oil warning light. It seemed like the oil was spraying from somewhere, it even managed to get inside of my airbox. I cleaned most of the oil and checked everywhereI expecting to find a major leak but all I found was a small leak in the corner of the valve cover. I have not had an oil warning and have only had minimal oil loss since. While changing my spark plugs a few weekends later I noticed that there was a small puddle of oil in every single well. I cleaned the majority of the oil I could reach and continued replacing the fried plugs. I assume that may have been the cause of my misfires, as I haven't gotten any misfire codes since I changed the plugs 2 weeks ago (no lights at all since I swapped the TCM over a week ago!). I would like to replace the VCG, CCTG and replace some components to my PCV system while I'm at it. I have a few questions

1- Could my random oil loss have been from changing the oil using a lighter/different oil than the original owner used, somehow building pressure in the engine and sending my oil flying through any leaks/weak points? Does this sound like a clogged PCV?

2- This ETKA diagram shows the PCV valve (6A) connecting to a breather hose (24). I am looking at the034motorsport reinforced breather hose kit ( Reinforced Silicone Breather Hose Kit ) and it mentions it comes with a cap/plug to bypass the auxillary check valve hose. Is that for part 24 on the diagram? The billet PVC valve that comes with the kit does not have the nipple that connects to the hose like the one in the diagram. My engine code is AWM

3- What sealant should I use for the VCG/CCTG?

Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
I don't know how you could ever get oil in the airbox. I hate to say it, but that sounds like operator error. The leaks would not be due to lighter oil. There are a few places oil could spray from and make such a mess, but they don't stop once they start:
1: the oil filter seal, if the old one is left in place or new one is not tight.
2: the oil cooler seal, they fail as they age and often after a filter change.
3: the oil supply line to the turbo. It's metal and I have never seen one fail, but it could.
4: the rear crank seal, it usually does not spray, but drips out the front of the trans.
5: the front crank seal, it drips and would blow around from either the fan or driving.
7: the cam chain tensioner adjuster. There have been a few failures that do spray oil. Would be easy to see it leaking.

Your best bet would be to power wash the engine and check it daily for leaks afterwards.
For the valve cover/spark plug wells and either crank seal, the PCV could well be the issue.
The 06A bleeder was a running change on the AWM. Earlier models did not have it, so I see no reason you could not cap it as 034 shows. The way it's routed is strange, as it basically vents from the same location as the main hose.

For sealant, I use RTV Black. Only on the sections where the gasket changes from flat surface to raised (at front cam bridge and CCT).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't know how you could ever get oil in the airbox. I hate to say it, but that sounds like operator error. The leaks would not be due to lighter oil. There are a few places oil could spray from and make such a mess, but they don't stop once they start:
1: the oil filter seal, if the old one is left in place or new one is not tight.
2: the oil cooler seal, they fail as they age and often after a filter change.
3: the oil supply line to the turbo. It's metal and I have never seen one fail, but it could.
4: the rear crank seal, it usually does not spray, but drips out the front of the trans.
5: the front crank seal, it drips and would blow around from either the fan or driving.
7: the cam chain tensioner adjuster. There have been a few failures that do spray oil. Would be easy to see it leaking.

Your best bet would be to power wash the engine and check it daily for leaks afterwards.
For the valve cover/spark plug wells and either crank seal, the PCV could well be the issue.
The 06A bleeder was a running change on the AWM. Earlier models did not have it, so I see no reason you could not cap it as 034 shows. The way it's routed is strange, as it basically vents from the same location as the main hose.

For sealant, I use RTV Black. Only on the sections where the gasket changes from flat surface to raised (at front cam bridge and CCT).
Thank you PZ for being so informative. I'm not sure what could've happened for the oil to get everywhere like it did, operator error or not. The clips on the airbox are broken where the filter sits so whatever happened, a small amount of oil managed to get on the side of the airbox and dripped down into the air filter. I switched out the airbox for a K&N cone and a DIY aluminum heat shield because the box was pretty much falling apart. I'm planning on making an order tonight for a VCG/CCTG kit and the PCV kit from 034. I appreciate the help!

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,579 Posts
The PCV kit from 034 is nice. I have it on my late AWM. Capped off the extra port on the valve cover that goes to the 6A bleeder valve and never looked back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The PCV kit from 034 is nice. I have it on my late AWM. Capped off the extra port on the valve cover that goes to the 6A bleeder valve and never looked back.
Thats great to hear. Made an order about a week ago and the 034 PCV is still waiting to ship 😅 I'm eager to get it done so I can install the VCG/CCTG kit that is just sitting on my desk waiting lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts