Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much gas is left in the tank when the light first comes on? can i take the needle to almost the last white line after the red?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i forgot to say i have a 98 passat 1.8t lol. what does it mean when the gas light comes on then goes away?

·
Registered
356 Posts
The 2003 GLS 1.8T FWD has a 16.4 gallon tank. If I get gas right when the light comes on it's almost exactly 12 gallons. So in my car it's 4.4 which is quite a lot.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
The light usually comes on about just under 1/4 tank marker. I've taken mine down to nearly the EMPTY marker and it took 19.8 gallons to fill. Just did it a couple of times to see if I can trust my guage. :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
LeoMan319 said:
how much gas is left in the tank when the light first comes on? can i take the needle to almost the last white line after the red?
You might want to check it by gassing up when the light first comes on. I suspect that with different cars there will be a range of results. Someone else posted that they have 4 gallons left when the light comes on and I have about 2.5 gallons left when the light appears. Peace of mind comes with knowing the answer to your question.:thumbup:

·
Registered
503 Posts
I thought the light was regulated by the fuel range computer? (at least on euro b5.5s anyway)
Apparently the warning can be adjusted with vag-com. The default is set at 55 miles, and is based on your average mpg, the light can go off after it has come on, if your average mpg increases which will then take the range to above 55.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
elton said:
I thought the light was regulated by the fuel range computer? (at least on euro b5.5s anyway)
Apparently the warning can be adjusted with vag-com. The default is set at 55 miles, and is based on your average mpg, the light can go off after it has come on, if your average mpg increases which will then take the range to above 55.
I believe that is the same on my USA B5 2000 (about 55 miles). The low fuel light is controlled by the ECM. My owner's manual says the tank is about 16.3 gallons with reserve of about 2.1 gallons. When filling up just after the light comes on, I'm put in between 14.3 and 14.5 gallons.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Mine comes on at 14 gallons used. I've seen mine go off then on again, but it's rare.

PS- My wife told me she just had a 15.9 gallon fillup :nervous:.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
LeoMan319 said:
4.4? thats a good 90 miles. lol. what do you think is left when the light comes on on the 98 1.8 t?
Four-point-four gallons? Ninety miles? That's only 20 MPG! With a 1.8t, you should be a LOT closer to 30 MPG. (My trip computer, which I double-check on occasion, shows that I'm getting 28.7 MPG on this tank of gas ...and I consider that to be bad.)

Like manxdaddy said, next time your light comes on, head directly to the gas station and fill 'er up. Take 16.4 and subtract however many gallons you put in. That's what you've got left after the light comes on. Simple math.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I pay pretty close attention and yes it is 4.4 gallons (16.4 owner's manual - 12.0 fillup). I've asked the dealer to bring it to the 2.1 gallon level like the manual says and they said it wasn't possible... maybe someone can clarifiy if you can Vag Comm this feature. I get in mixed driving in a tiptronic around 22.5-23.5 mpg. On a long road trip (60 miles or over) I get 36 mpg @ 65, 34 @ 70, 31 @ 75, 28 @ 80, and 26 @ 85. I will take that type of fuel economy.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well here's my logic. I figure that if I have 2.1 gallons left and I know it, I won't wait to fill it up at all. Even at a really crappy 10 miles per gallon, I have to be an idiot to not pull off before 20 miles and get gas. Now, I have 4.4 gallons after the light. I wait to get gas for a bit, almost never to the 13 gallon mark. When I get an aggregate 22.5 mpg, I still have 99 miles left which means that I am not in danger of running out of gas, but the light bothers me for at least 20 safe (half the 4.4 gallons at 10mpg) miles left.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts