Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Gas pump shutting off before full when trying to refuel Passat

19K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  AndreasPassat 
#1 ·
I have been having this problem for over a year now. Sometimes I can only get a couple bucks in at a time. I have searched the forum but only came up with a few hits and no remedy. Can someone guide to the correct solution?

#5 ·
I've had the same problem for mine ever since I purchased mine preowned in 2006. It's an annoyance but something I just deal with. It's sporadic when it feels like shutting off. I could get 40L worth or 4L worth. I just make sure how much fuel I've used and put in what I think needs to fill the tank.

I've went to the dealer to inquire about the issue they said they would need an empty tank and probably have to drop the tank to diagnose it. And IIRC it was going to be expensive just to diagnose it. So not really worth it (yet) anyways.

#12 ·
I had the problem myself, I found 2 things worked one the "don't put it in all the way" and shutting the car off at the pump. When i left the car running after about 10 gallons gas would spill out from behind the fill nozzle inside the body panel. After I shut the car off it never did it again, even at full service stations.

#16 ·
Been there ... done that with my son's 2000 S4. Yes, it probably is an evap. system issue, but we never did get that resolved before selling it. (Of six VW/Audi cars in the extended family, that one has been the only real money pit and general P.I.T.A.)

#17 ·
My wife's car has this issue, I've also noticed besides the car having a venting problem that I have been ignoring, it is gas station dependent. Some stations with their pumps I have to hold the nozzle lever just past the cracking open point. Others I can pull back on the nozzle lever all the way and let'r rip.
But then when I'm in Los Angeles county, ugh, some of those gas pumps with their OVER SENSITIVE vapor recovery contraptions.
No lie. I was over in Burbank a little over a week ago with the W8, I stopped at a Shell station, took me like 5 minutes to get just about a gallon in the tank. I cursed the gas pump and slammed the nozzle back into it's holster and tore out of there like a bat outta' hell. Went down the street to a 76 station, no problemas!
The W8 doesn't have a venting problem, just saying that some gas pumps can be finnicky.

#18 ·
Change the charcoal canister under the spare tire underneath the car. The charcoal particles are stuck together from topping off the gas after the gas pump switches off. This results in gas going directly into the canister and after a few years turns the contents to concrete. The air trying to escape from the tank as your filling needs to go through the canister to capture the fumes. Since it cannot do so as it's blocked it pressurizes the tank and switches the pump off. There is a reason they say do not top off. This can also cause the canister to crack causing a fuel smell and give you the CEL for a small leak p0442. Having a fuel smell can be deadly.

Please do not do the following under any circumstances.

The older ones could be removed and left in the sun for a few days then thrown in the barbeque for a while. If you still alive and kicking, smack it with a mallet till the charcoal bits separate and your good to go as they were made from metal. These are plastic. Please don't put them in the fire.

Please do the following

Get a new one. $80 on amazon. 3 screws and 3 10mm nuts 2 pipes and it's out. In is the same in reverse.

#19 ·
There is a reason they say do not top off.
No kidding.
I saw a lady in Los Angeles at the pump just yesterday trying to fill her tank right up to the gas cap.
I just shook my head and went about my own business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.