Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. Just bought an 05 GLX 4motion wagon new. I drove it from Denver to Seattle (taking it from 400 miles to 1,500 miles) and averaged about 19 mpg. It was cold, mountainous, etc, so the mileage didn't surprise me. I have only been filling it with premium (91 or 92 octane).

However, now I am in Seattle and am averaging like 14 mpg around the city. Car has about 2,000 miles on it now.

I realize that the 4motion, the tipronic, the wagon, and the V6 aren't helping me, but 14 is obviously way below the 17 or so you would expect.

I realize this topic has been much discussed on the forums, but my question is:

Is poor gas mileage to be expected for the first few thousand miles in a new car?

Thanks for the help... the gas bills are KILLING me.

·
Rollin in the LAV
1,760 Posts
jeffbaynard said:
It improves around 10k miles but don't hold yer breath.
I think you might have the heaviest Passat model possible.
W8 wagon is heavier.

Mileage should get better after a while. Make sure your tires are properly inflated, too. I drove my 02 V6 4Motion sedan from Denver to Portland last May and averaged around 24 mpg. Did you go through Utah or Wyoming? Either way, it's a nice drive. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Arthrogrian19 said:
W8 wagon is heavier.

Did you go through Utah or Wyoming? Either way, it's a nice drive. :)
Indeed, the car is a beast. 14 mpg is a bit shocking though, really.:Yikes:

Took Berthod Pass through Steamboat (had to ski for a couple days) and then stayed on 40 through to Salt lake. From Salt Lake took the Interstate through Idaho and Eastern OR. Cut up through the Cascades into Seattle. Beautiful drive.

Car performed magnificently, including the late night drive over Berthod Pass in driving snow with packed snow and ice conditions (this is why I bought the 4motion). Was able to pass cars with a loaded car going 75 up mountains (this is why I bought the V6).

I have driven suburus and jeeps on that drive in the snow and neither performed as well as the passat. major props.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Shreep said:
Indeed, the car is a beast. 14 mpg is a bit shocking though, really.:Yikes:
Sadly, in my V6 4motion sedan, I get 14-16 mpg around town, and I live kinda far out of town, so I go down some long, semi-country roads.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My girlfriend's parents have a (2002 Tiptronic GLX 4motion with a V6) car that is exactly the same as you describe. In mixed driving they get 18 mpg in mixed driving. They are relatively conservative too. I hope you will get better, I started getting 1 mpg better at about 7500-10000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bobnfloyd said:
My girlfriend's parents have a (2002 Tiptronic GLX 4motion with a V6) car that is exactly the same as you describe. In mixed driving they get 18 mpg in mixed driving. They are relatively conservative too. I hope you will get better, I started getting 1 mpg better at about 7500-10000 miles.
Let's just say I am missing my 1995 diesel Seat Ibiza i was driving while living in England up until a month ago... Got like 50 mpg...

Of course, it also looked and ran like shiat.

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,168 Posts
I think it's fair to say that the car will perform a little bit less than what VW says it will. It's like when you buy a 100 GB hard drive at a computer store and then when you install it into your PC, you find out that it only has 95 GB and not 100, like the company said it's suppost to be! That's how I view these kinds of things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts