Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching this forum for answers to why my cabin and trunk stunk like raw fuel after driving and/or filling it up with gas about 3/4 full. I could never afford to fill it all the way up. Lol.
Initially, when I bought the car from my son, on rare occasions I would smell fuel vapors. I thought it was coming from the engine compartment, but could not locate a leak from common points that fail, as described by others in this forum, and other sites.

I went to inspect the fuel lines that connect to the fuel pump in the trunk area. My first concern was that one of the three phillip screws which hold the cover down was missing. After removing the cover I could smell fuel and see the fuel stains, as well as dirt that had collected on the pump cover. Then I noticed that someone had previously worked on the cover as you could see they used a flathead screwdriver to tap the cover off counterclockwise. Another interesting thing I found that field nice had set up a home on top of the cover as there were nut shells and old pits surrounding the pump cover. What i also discovered was that whoever messed with the cover didn't bother to remove the pits when they tightened that pump cover back on as a few pit were stuck between the fuel tank and the cover which prevented the cover from screwing all the way down completely, leaving a gap where the fuel was escaping. After loosening the pump cover/top, and using a spray bottle with some soapy water to wash off all the dust, I cleaned and vacuumed the area thoroughly, and removed the pits that were in the way. Afterwards I was able to screw the top all the way down, nice and tight. I turned the key to pressurize the fuel lines and there was no sign of any leaks and no darn smell of fuel. I started the car and ran it for a short while, and still no leaks or fuel fumes. Went to the gas station and put $10 worth of gas that got me 1/2 tank, and still no stink.

Boy I am happy I didn't have a leaky fuel line or other related component part.

But I did notice the lines were old and showed some slight superficial cracking, but the soap test and nose test showed no signs of leakage.

This is probably a unique incident. But who knows. If it happens to one person, I am sure it has/will happen to someone else.

Good luck out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,867 Posts
Great work to find the issue.

Reactions: Que pasa t

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was searching this forum for answers to why my cabin and trunk stunk like raw fuel after driving and/or filling it up with gas about 3/4 full. I could never afford to fill it all the way up. Lol.
Initially, when I bought the car from my son, on rare occasions I would smell fuel vapors. I thought it was coming from the engine compartment, but could not locate a leak from common points that fail, as described by others in this forum, and other sites.

I went to inspect the fuel lines that connect to the fuel pump in the trunk area. My first concern was that one of the three phillip screws which hold the cover down was missing. After removing the cover I could smell fuel and see the fuel stains, as well as dirt that had collected on the pump cover. Then I noticed that someone had previously worked on the cover as you could see they used a flathead screwdriver to tap the cover off counterclockwise. Another interesting thing I found that field nice had set up a home on top of the cover as there were nut shells and old pits surrounding the pump cover. What i also discovered was that whoever messed with the cover didn't bother to remove the pits when they tightened that pump cover back on as a few pit were stuck between the fuel tank and the cover which prevented the cover from screwing all the way down completely, leaving a gap where the fuel was escaping. After loosening the pump cover/top, and using a spray bottle with some soapy water to wash off all the dust, I cleaned and vacuumed the area thoroughly, and removed the pits that were in the way. Afterwards I was able to screw the top all the way down, nice and tight. I turned the key to pressurize the fuel lines and there was no sign of any leaks and no darn smell of fuel. I started the car and ran it for a short while, and still no leaks or fuel fumes. Went to the gas station and put $10 worth of gas that got me 1/2 tank, and still no stink.

Boy I am happy I didn't have a leaky fuel line or other related component part.

But I did notice the lines were old and showed some slight superficial cracking, but the soap test and nose test showed no signs of leakage.

This is probably a unique incident. But who knows. If it happens to one person, I am sure it has/will happen to someone else.

Good luck out there.
Great tips here. My uncle got this incoming Passat project with a gas leak. The owner mentioned his eldest son worked on it but didn't finish. We'll take a closer look soon after we finished installing the suspension and nitto at tires on the current Wrangler project and clear the garage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts