Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some background first----- 2004.5 1.8t Tip with 7100 miles on it

so last week i go to fill my tank and everything is fine untill i step in to the car and the gauge only reads 3/4, so i automatically think maybe the pump messed up and stoped early, so i go and try to fill again and its full! so i call city vw up and set an appointment and they told me that it will be an easy job they just need to attact the computer to it and adapt the gauge so i need to have it all the say full when i come to them. This morning i get up at 7 to go and have them do it and after 2 hours of waiting the serice guy comes out and tells me that, they dont know how to fix it! they called VW and that they said its a known problem and dont have a solution for it! but will let me know when they do... this is pissing me off. Engine codes at 5000mi that they cant explain a ripped hose the first day i had the car, the secondary door lock broken from day 1 before i even left the dealership. what the hell

its full and this is what the gauge reads...

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
dude my list is wayyyy longer than that, unfortunately you need to get used to it, im around 90 thousand miles and heres my list

redb5sdca said:
98 B5 1.8t(AEB) 5spd colorado red 75,000 miles

Passat variant punks thread got me thinking and Although it could be a scary list heres mine :

All four engine mounts (front motor mount replaced twice second time
Diverter valve
with snub mount)
the lowers from all four doors
shiftboot(already need another)
one transmission mount
Abs control module
timing belt and tensioner
valve cover gasket
cam seal gasket
spark plugs twice
front brake pads and rotors twice
rear pads twice rotors once
master cylinder
waterpump
alternator
oil pump and suck up tube
ingnition control module
coilpacks
all hoses
armrest cover
floor mats
one keyless remote broke (paid 120 for another that drove off on my moms trunk :cry: , yet to be replaced a second time)
bracket on bottom of driver seat broke had to get that took apart and replaced
Motor (top end is rebuilt bottom end is new and pistons plus crank and rods)
both window regulators
driver door rubber seal
rear passenger hedliner trim
cv boots
gas tank switch
ignition switch
replaced blown speaker
both axles
drink holder
hood support
How bigs your list?
front passenger control arms
tierod ends
strut bearing
coilover suspenions.
sunroof is making an awesome rattle.
Since then

Tranny synchros went out
a coolant clip fell of costing me 40$ and two trips to the dealer
face of radio cracked it all still works, just not appealing to the eye
center console lid broke again :mad:
drink holder got stuck open so I tore it out and have ot replaced it yet.
and my seatbelt is all sticky and does not want to retract anymore

8)

anyway good luck dood, but if your aggrivated now, go buy a honda. :p

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sounds like my passat! Heres what you do, since your car is still new and clearly you are running into the joys of spending a lot of money for the crappiest service ever. Keep taking photos of the gas guage with a reset odometer in the pic too to show milage. Insist that VW fix it, and while fixing it they give you a loaner/ rental car. Document everything. After the 4th time bringing it in, you can declare the car a lemon, based on the safety issue of an unreliable gas guage (who knows when it is going to run out... mine went from mid to empty on a highway and I barely made it to the breakdown lane).

Declare it a lemon now. Arbitration is kinda worthless, but it is free. VW will plead to the person to let them fix your car again, but nothing will come from it. VW really could care less about thier customers and the dealers are all bad... yes all of them.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Sounds like you have a faulty fuel sensor in the tank. More then likely there is sulfer buildup on the sensor that needs replaced. This normally doesnt happen with brand new cars, but tends to happen over time. I've found that dumping a can of fuel injector cleaner helps with this issue. It cleans the sulfer deposits off of the sensor and is good as new. Its the only thing that keeps my gauge reading accuratly.

HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
612 Posts
My fuel sender has been replaced 3 times under warranty. When I brought the car back under warranty, they said it wasn't the fuel sender and it would $150 for their time it took them to do nothing to fix it. A$$holes.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yeah, try what Steve said with the fuel injector cleaner first. Also, for some reason the Sunoco's in my area tend to make my fuel gauge stick; I haven't used Sunoco and it's been fine...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Your VW dealer should fix the problem for you under warranty, even if they need to replace the fuel gauge sending unit or entire fuel tank. “Don’t have the solution” is simply not acceptable. Even if Chevron Techron or RXP can fix the fuel gauge problem, don't you think the VW should pay for those cleaners??? It is another perfect example of how VW dealers and VWoA treating their customers!

I have purchased several VW’s since 80’s. I have had countless unpleasant and sometimes even outrageous experience on service and warranty issues with my VW dealers and VWoA. I have hardly recommended any VW to my friends even though I have always been driving one for the last 20+ years. Now, I have to say my 2001.5 Passat GLX is my last VW. Yes, as a faithful VW customer after 20+ years I am not going to get another VW in the future. I just simply don’t want to deal with those incompetent dealers and VWoA anymore! :mad:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here is my list, my passat has 20,000 miles.

Turn signals broken.
License plate light out.
Steering column replaced.
ABS replaced.
Seat belt was stuck, had to be replaced.
Rear sun shade replaced.
Fuel tank cap replaced.
Turbo replaced, leaking oil.
Window was not retracting.
Rear trunk panel coming unglued, so far, had to take 2 times to the dealer.
Air vents broken.
Trunk lid struts replaced.
Door strip (metal thingy) fell off.
And some more that I forget. Also, many of these issues took a few trips to the dealer. And this on a 2003 with less than 20K!

Not to mention the recall for the coils, and now, the bulletting about the oil sludge problem.
But I had heard this from other people who owned VWs, for some their car is perfect, for others, it always breaks.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
Sounds like you have a faulty fuel sensor in the tank. More then likely there is sulfer buildup on the sensor that needs replaced. This normally doesnt happen with brand new cars, but tends to happen over time. I've found that dumping a can of fuel injector cleaner helps with this issue. It cleans the sulfer deposits off of the sensor and is good as new. Its the only thing that keeps my gauge reading accuratly.

HTH,
Steve
dingding! we have a winner!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.