Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model: GGQ8858EQ0 Gas Dryer.

The unit does not heat. It spins, etc. But the gas does not come on. It sounds like it is clicking (I can not be 100% certain of this at this time), but it isn't lighting, etc.

Could somebody please tell me what to look for if
a) it is clicking, but not lighting, etc.
b) it isn't clicking.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Well, its got an electronic ignition. Shut the gas, pull the lower panel and you'll see the burner tube and the ignitor. Ensure the ground is tight and the ignitor is clean.
Next, be sure the gas supply is not kinked.
Leaving the gas off, turn on the dryer and see if the ignitor is arcing. If so, it was probably a bad ground.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Provided that the gas is on, and the clicking cycles every couple of minutes the problem would be the coils in the gas valve control. Replace valve control.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Some of those ignitors are very fragile and quite often the cause of the gas not firing. They're not cheap either.

Getting to some of these can be a pita - you might need to remove the drum.

Another thing to check - if you have a multi-meter - is the door switch. If I remember correctly, some are a 3-wire switch. It may allow the drum to spin, but not allow the gas to flow if it *thinks* the door is open......keep in mind my memory is crappy and it's been a while since I worked on one. Hopefully the schematics are there with the dryer - usually attached to the back of the unit or up in the control area somewhere.

If you decide to take it apart - plan on having a vacuum available - you might as well clean it out real good while you're in there....just be sure to unplug it when you vacuum it - there's some good juice flowing in there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts