Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start with, I have searched the forums for an answer to this. My apologies if I missed a thread on the topic somehow.

I was just looking for some clarification on gapping a plug with 2 side electrodes.
Is the gap measured from the edge of the side electrode to the side of the center electrode?
The space I marked in this pic?

It seems like it would be difficult to adjust that distance since it's a matter of adjusting side distance, and doesn't seem as cut and dry as getting a gap between a single bottom electrode to the center electrode.

Thanks for any help on the matter.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Unless you dropped one, I think they are the proper gap from the factory. However, I think you are right on where to measure the gap, if you feel you need to check.

What year/engine?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Multi-electrode plugs are pre-gapped. The gap is not measured the same way as single electrode plugs. I called NGK technical assistance once and was told my V6 plugs don't get regapped and the gap is measured from the insulator because part of the spark actually travels along the insulator.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
when i installed my new spark plugs i had a nasty misfire problem, which oddly enough caused a brake booster fault.

the 4 and 5 wires were on backwards :p

gotta love that g12 residue covering the letters!

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
when i installed my new spark plugs i had a nasty misfire problem, which oddly enough caused a brake booster fault.

the 4 and 5 wires were on backwards :p

gotta love that g12 residue covering the letters!
:confused: My #4 and #5 wires won't reach each other's hole. Did you disco them at the coil pak? If so, why?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts