Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Recently I fitted an aftermarket radio to replace my VW gamma radio. I used the connectors that I got with the radio and tapped into wires from original connectors. Everything worked fine until I decided to sell the car and wanted to put the OEM gamma inside again. Now the radio reads SAFE on the screen, and won't learn the code from the car and unlock itself(I dont know the code) and the radio wont power off when I pull the key out of the ignition, I need to turn it off manually. I removed all the connectors that I fitted for the aftermarket radio.

NOTE: I disconnected the radio before, a couple of times, and everytime I put it in again, it would read SAFE on the screen, but after about 10-20sec it would learn the code from the car and unlock. Car is a 2000 B5 Passat. I'm assuming that this is somehow connected to radio not turning off with the key out of ignition.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
That is strange as the 2000+ models were supposed to self-unlock if put back in the same car, mine always did.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The communication will take place over the K-line or CANbus, depending on the exact year of the car, so make sure those wires are still intact.

If K-line (single-DIN radio), is there anything plugged in to the diagnostic port (like a tracker)--if so remove it.

And can you scan the car (ECM for example); if so, that would indicate that K-line communications does work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I managed to solve the problem.
I measured the switched ignition pin(S-kont) and was getting 12V when ignition was on, so I checked the contacts inside the connectors and moved around a little bit.
When I connected everything back together again and turned the key, the radio turned on and unlocked itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.