Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone..

simple question...

has anyone installed 2 audio units at the same time?? I want to keep my Gamma Cassette/Radio and install a CD Player along with it (not stock CD, but aftermarket -Alpine/Panasonic/Blau etc).

anyone? can it be done?

thanks!
Abe

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Without a bunch of jury-rigging, one option would be to make sure your new unit has an Aux-In, then take an amplified->Line level converter (similar to what some people use to hook up a sub to their stock unit without Pre-amp outputs) and connect it to the speaker out of your existing unit, then run a cable from teh converter to your aux-in. Basically aux-in on your new unit is whatever is the output of your old one...

Might want to look into just getting a standalone tape player tho.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,782 Posts
Gamma HU In-dash CD player

Firstly, I'm new, this is my first post, so be nice guys

Secondly, I'm from the UK, so, altho Crutchfield etc have similar stuff, it's all different specs (SIRIUS :???:!) but feel free to post links, I can always search the few UK sites for an equivalent model.

So, onto my question/post etc;

I have an '01 Passat sedan 2.0 with the double DIN factory fit Gamma cassette/radio and seperate single in dash cd player. I want to upgrade them both and am thinking of sticking with Blaupunkt and getting the 5 CD in-dash-changer IDC-A09 and then a top spec Blaupunkt CD HU. But, from reading a few posts I've noticed not many folks support Blaupunkt so I wonder what others recommend.

If I stick to a single DIN HU and a boot/trunk mounted changer, I'm left with a hole in my centre console, I want to keep the clean look as much as possible but I don't want to fit a blanking plate, hence the sway towards the 5 disc IDC.

The blue glow is a must, such a cool choice on VWs part. Price isn't a problem, but obviously I don't wanna go spending £10k. I'm not too bothered about SatNav and could be swayed into DVD etc.

I've waffled a bit, but I think the point is across, what do people suggest.

Cheers in advance guys

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can...

Either buy the sleeve to fit under the head unit and put in a trunk mounted cd changer, put in the OEM in dash 6 cd changer, put in the sleeve and mount the OEM changer in the armrest, or replace it with a complete non OEM system. If you do non OEM you should IMHO replace the speakers and amp as well.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,782 Posts
Er, cheers KC, nice brief reply straight to the point, nice one.

Anyone got a similar reply but with some recommendations, brands etc.

Would be nice to get some fellow VeeDubbers views. As I said, matching the blue and keeping a clean look is #1 priority. I don't want a blanking plate.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had the idea of keeping my Gamma and fitting a seperate CD as I could not justify the cost of the boot mounted 6-changer.

In the end I just bought myself a decent Clarion set - matches the blue display and red buttons quite nicely and sounds really good. If you have CD you prob don't need cassette. Anyway, cassettes eventualy snarl up tapes. New set also has the automute function to work with my cell phone car kit. I'll keep the Gamma and may put it back in if/when I sell the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.