Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching the forums for a while I have seen numerous people say that the v6 vented oil cap will not fit the 1.8t, but I saw one post that said it did. That was enough for me to buy it :). I am happy to say that it does fit, but I had to cut away the engine cover just a little bit since the cap is wider.

Cheap gasket insurance for when your PCV gets clogged again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gasket insurance?

This oil cap won't keep your VC gasket from leaking, only slow down the inevitable...but if it makes you feel good.

Leaking VC gaskets are part of owning VWs.
I just figured more ventilation is better. Who knows when that tiny suction pump opening will clog. At least when it does you will have some sort of way to avoid pressure buildup in the crankcase.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I just figured more ventilation is better. Who knows when that tiny suction pump opening will clog. At least when it does you will have some sort of way to avoid pressure buildup in the crankcase.
If you are having performance issues with pressure build up, then a proper vented catch can is the way to go. If you are just looking to reduce maintenance issues, yours is a bad idea. Eliminating vacuum to the crankcase and head will allow water vapor and other contaminates to build up internally and in the oil. Not good for the main bearings, and especially the turbo bearings. It will also allow more oil past the valve seals, leading to increased carbon build up on the valves.

Do a search on catch cans, especially non-vented types, and take a look at what gets accumulated by the can. It's basically a watery sludge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are having performance issues with pressure build up, then a proper vented catch can is the way to go. If you are just looking to reduce maintenance issues, yours is a bad idea. Eliminating vacuum to the crankcase and head will allow water vapor and other contaminates to build up internally and in the oil. Not good for the main bearings, and especially the turbo bearings. It will also allow more oil past the valve seals, leading to increased carbon build up on the valves.

Do a search on catch cans, especially non-vented types, and take a look at what gets accumulated by the can. It's basically a watery sludge.
after viewing this 11 year old thread I did purchase this cap for my 1.8t and while this members concerns are justified I think they have misunderstood how this cap works. It has a built in check valve and will only vent positive pressure. This will not eliminate vacuum. Furthermore a remote mounted aluminum catch can will only increase the potential of water to be introduced into the crank case as these fill up with condensation especially in colder climates and if it fills all the way you have pcv blockage producing positive pressure and watery oil spilling into your intake and sump. If you empty the extremely stinky sludge in them regularly you won’t have an issue but the stuff stinks enough to make you gag and in most cases you have limited access which makes it so much fun. Using the factory system with a one way vent seems like a win to me. And having a one way vent is also a great insurance policy against any pcv blockage weather it be from a full can or a poorly maintained engine. So if you’ve googled your way here after being disappointed that VTT doesn’t make a filtered vented and baffled one way cap for the 1.8t like they do for the newer gens and bmws then I think this is a good answer for you. Also they made a factory cap adapter for tdis that adds another cover vent nipple.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,297 Posts
Reactions: benzivr6

·
Registered
3 Posts
After searching the forums for a while I have seen numerous people say that the v6 vented oil cap will not fit the 1.8t, but I saw one post that said it did. That was enough for me to buy it :). I am happy to say that it does fit, but I had to cut away the engine cover just a little bit since the cap is wider.
Cheap gasket insurance for when your PCV gets clogged again.
won't keep your VC gasket from leaking, only slow down the inevitable...but if it makes you feel good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts