Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuse 5 keeps blowing..have disconnected the following..
-climatronic
-ac pump
-ac blower
-headlight washing system
-gps unit
-heating seat switch
-windscreen heat switch
-oil sensor

And it keeps blowing every time i crank the car.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Fuse 5: 10amp fuse

Instrument cluster, seat heating, test connection for cruise control, bulb monitor for auto check control, automatic transmission display, switch lighting, mirror switches and actuators, airbag warning light, outside temperature indicator, climate control.

I would start by checking the wire(s) at the following locations:
1) On the a/c compressor. The single wire is mounted to the outside of the compressor, that wire can get chaffed (rubbed) and short to ground.
2) The wires that are inside the rubber accordion weather protector going into the front door. After years of closing and opening the door, the wires break.
3) Make sure the wire leading to the temperature sensor on the radiator core support is all secure and not cut up from road debris or even the fan itself.
4) Check the heat seating membrane(s). After years of use they tend to get crumpled up, possibly breaking and shorting out.
5) Check the wire(s) under the center console to make the gear selector lever is not rubbing on the wire(s).

Hopefully FrescoGreen01.5 can chime in here. He is the resident electrical guru.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
What do you have, B5 or B5.5? That makes a difference as the all of the connectors/wire harness for the face lifted front end are different vs the B5 version.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
As memory serves, the plug for the outside temp sensor is over on the left rail, roughly under the headlight. Just follow the wire - you'll find the plug. ;)
Correct.
From the temp sensor (front lower left side of a/c condenser - should mounted with a plastic clip to the power steering cooler pipe) follow the wire back to the connectors right behind the drivers side (US version) headlight assembly. The disconnect is there.
The way it works, you disconnect the connector there behind the headlight, and the rest of the wires go with the radiator core support when putting it into service position or completely removing it from the car.

Ok so you have a B5. You should have round connectors. The connector that feeds the outside temperature sensor is reddish in color (behind drivers side headlight) I'll post a picture in a bit.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
OP, what is the exact engine and build date of your car? That determines which schematic applies. Do you have a Bentley manual?

Guessing at a 2000 model, I see on Bentley schematic 33/5 that fuse 5 feeds power to the A/C refrigerant pressure switch, and that wire gets power even with the Climatronic head unit disconnected. It's out there under the hood in harm's way. There is a connector you can unplug to isolate that wire from the fuse. I don't know what all is in that connector (radiator fan control, at least), so you may not be able to leave it unplugged, but you'll be able to isolate the fault. It's the gray 10-positon connector in the left footwell (below the fuse box). The wire is black/red in the instrument cluster harness, but black/blue under the hood; it changes at the gray 10-position connector.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Update..i have 00819 error on my high ac pressure switch
It makes sense that you'd be getting that error--fuse 5 provides the power to that pressure switch, so with fuse 5 blown there will be no power to that input on the Climatronic, the same as if the switch were open (see post #11).

The thing to investigate is whether the wiring to that switch is damaged, which could be blowing the fuse. I believe the switch is mounted pretty low, thus subject to damage, particularly if you don't have a belly pan.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A few days prior I had done diagonosis before fuse blew..at the time of doing diagonosis the fuse was ok..have two questions?..1..wiring or g65 sensor?..2..where does the g65 wire lead too..is it among the wires that have connectors near the power steering fluid container..if so which one so that i disconnect it?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The refrigerant pressure switch is F129.
1. Damaged wiring is much more likely that a faulty switch.
2. The switch, per Bentley, is "in A/C line at condenser, below passenger
side headlight"

I don't know exactly how the wires get there, but the connector I mention in post #11 is probably the only place to disconnect it. I'd look in the engine compartment for wire damage.

My Bentley manual doesn't include the APR engine, so I don't have the schematic that exactly matches your car.​

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE: i managed to find the short.
Steps i took..
I disconnected the ac pressure sensor..ac blower..ac pump..climatronic unit..reconnected on the same sequence..the shorting of fuse came about reconnecting the climatronic unit..black socket third from left..second from right..i reconnected the other plugs on the climatronic..isolating that one socket plug..and there was no more blowing of fuses..my conclusions and diagnosis..the black socket third from left has a short in it..so that i defend my theory i will look for a used socket and replace it..that single one and see how it goes..
My question..what have i disconnected on the climatronic unit by isolating that single black socket

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.