Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 V6 manual

While checking all of my fuses for a unrelated issue I found that fuse 29 was blown...replaced it and when I started my car it blew again....can someone tell me specifically what fuse 29 is in relation to engine....TIA

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick question....On the wire harness conector for the V6 coil pack their is the main wires that plug into the coil pack and then their is another black cable with a ring terminal connected to a little black box that appears to be a ground of some sort that connects to a mounting point of the coil pack....The reason I ask is because the wire is almost broken completely in half....Didn't know if this could be causing any issues...Another wierd thing is that the "little black box" has the marking of a capacitor on it....ie uF or microFarad?

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
98 V6 manual

While checking all of my fuses for a unrelated issue I found that fuse 29 was blown...replaced it and when I started my car it blew again....can someone tell me specifically what fuse 29 is in relation to engine....TIA
Huh. My manual simply says "engine control." Anything not working?

·
wants you to raise up your car.
4,329 Posts
I know you have a v6, but when fuse 29 blew on my 1.8t I had super low boost and pretty much no power - aka my car was really slow.

The cause of this blowing was my n75 valve wire getting burnt through and blowing the fuse. I'm not sure what you v6 guys have for valves and such, but if there's something that controls airflow or power, check wires/valves in that area.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well these are the error codes I am getting....and fuse keeps blowing:

17843 - Secondary Air Pump Relay (J299): Short to Ground

P1435 - 35-00 - -

17829 - Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112): Short to Ground

P1421 - 35-00 - -

17833 - EVAP Purge Valve (N80): Short to Ground

P1425 - 35-00 - -

17923 - Intake Manifold Valve (N156): Short to Ground

P1515 - 35-00 - -

17880 - EVAP Leak Detection Pump: Short to Ground

P1472 - 35-00 - -

16518 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: No Activity

P0134 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

16538 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1: No Activity

P0154 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

17604 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heater Circuit: B1 S1: Electrical Malfunction

P1196 - 35-00 - -

17605 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heater Circuit: B2 S1: Electrical Malfunction

P1197 - 35-00 - -

17606 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heater Circuit: B1 S2: Electrical Malfunction

P1198 - 35-00 - -

17607 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heater Circuit: B2 S2: Electrical Malfunction

P1199 - 35-00 - -

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
BTW....Noticed rough idle and slightly lower gas mileage
Rough idle, huh? Not bad for all that stuff potentially not working. Methinks you need a box of 20A fuses and some patience. Start disconnecting things from the top of the list and see when the fuses stop blowing. For no good reason, I think it'll work after you pull the SAIP relay.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What number is the relay and are their any other relays to be removed in the process....What is the purpose of the SAIP....To add air into the exhaust stream while motor idling to "correct" mixture flowing past the pre-cat 02 sensors...

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
The SAIP relay is in the black box with the ECU at the base of the windshield. The system injects extra air to get the catalytic converter up to operating temp. Hope that's it...

·
wants you to raise up your car.
4,329 Posts
It's not an 02 sensor that's for sure. Those other codes will make the 02 throw codes.

Check the connections and wires of all those valves on your codse. Chances are the wire on one of those valves is messed up. Also check that relay.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
I'd go with the SAIP being bad. I bet the rivets have let go, water has gotten into it, and it is shorting out, blowing fuse 29.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok here is an update...I removed the SAIP and the fuse did not blow...I got a used one from a friends shop and made sure it ran and it did...However, when I hook it up to my cars plug it will not come on at all and the fuse will sometimes blow now regardless of it being hooked up or not....I tried unplugging other sensors etc. that are on the same circuit as the SAIP but I am still getting a random blown fuse..

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Tested relay and it is good.....hooked everything back up and fuse is no longer blowing....But the pump is not coming on....relay is getting power....any ideas...will turn on through vag-com output testing

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good to go...fuse not blowing and pump is operating normally....It started out sounding realy loud but has since quited down...I was thinking about spraying some lubricant into the intake side of the pump but did not want any combustibles entering the system...any ideas how to achieve this?....I might jump the relay contacts with the engine off and do this with both ends of the pumps orifices detached from the tubing..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts