Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daytime runners on the left driver side is out. My brake lights work perfectly. Everytime I put another 5 amp fuse in the 23 slot, and as soon as I turn on my headlight switch, the fuse blows. I have had front end damage and rear end damage. Is it shorted out somewhere? I need help!

B5.5 Passat
1.8T automatic

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Check the left side, and tail light units, the bulbs, and the Grey/Black wires from fuse #23 to the lights.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tail light unit is good as the brake lights all work but the normal tail lights are out. Also the day runner bulb in the headlight is not working if that metters. BuLbs are brand new. My corner light is suspect because it is not sitting in the actual plastic corner light piece, but no copper wife is showing. How do I trace this wire? Is it in the dash or in the engine bay? In the door is it the tail light? Idk

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
One Grey/Black wire goes from fuse #23 in the dash through the engine bay to the front left side marker.
The other Grey/Black wire goes from fuse #23 in the dash through the cabin to the left tail light. Check for a short in these circuits.
These wires do not go through any door. Because the stop light works doesn't mean the tail light is not shorting.

It seems like you have 2 or more faults, be very specific which lights work and which don't.
Do both low beam headlights work ?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The brake/tail lamps often cause this sort of problem. The wiring is seldom the issue.

Since the brake/tail lights are dual-filament lamps, it's easy to create a connection between the two contacts in the bottom of the brake/tail lamp socket. If that happens, the marker light fuse will keep blowing.

One of the contacts in the bottom of the brake/tail lamp socket is brake lights, the other is marker (tail) lights. The outer shell is common (ground). If there's a connection between those two bottom contacts, the marker light circuit will be powering the brake lights (in addition to the marker lights). The brake lights pull way more than 5 amps, so the fuse does its job. (The marker light wiring is too small to handle the brake lights.)

I suggest you unplug the whole brake light socket assembly, assembly then try a new marker light fuse. That will narrow down the problem. If it's in the brake light assembly, as I suspect, take the bulbs out and inspect carefully.

Notice that the brake light bulbs have two tits on the base that holds it in, but that they are at different heights and aren't directly opposite each other. The socket is designed similarly, so the lamp can supposedly be installed only one way, but lots of folks manage to put them in wrong. It has to be installed the right way or it will cause the very problem you have.

The brake/tail lamp should be #7225.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Having the same problem. Pulled out all the bulbs in the drivers side tail light. Fuse #23 still blows. Tried putting in a fuse of higher ampereage and it blows too. Drivers side low beam light does not work either. Wires to the drivers side light look a bit corroded. Perhaps its the drivers side light bulb/wiring causing fuse 23 to blow?
In any case, i plan to trace the wiring all the way back to the tail lights. Can someone help me on where the wires run and what components I need to open out to get access to the wires. Local mechanic says $300 to find the fault which is more than I can afford putting into the Passat at the moment.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Has any work been done on the car recently ?
Have you replaced any bulbs ?
Did the fuse blow with the stop light bulb removed ?
Does the driver side DRL work ?
Can you provide any other info ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has any work been done on the car recently ?
Have you replaced any bulbs ?
Did the fuse blow with the stop light bulb removed ?
Does the driver side DRL work ?
Can you provide any other info ?
Work done on the car: CV axles in Dec. Timing belt in March
Fuse blows with all bulbs removed in the drivers side tail light
Drivers side DRL does not work

Car is a 2002 Passat GLX 2.8L V6 with 174K miles. The last mechanic i took it to said I had a lot of electrical problems. I didnt have heat because my compressor for the AC would not go off so he drained all the freon to shut it off. Now it heats a little.
He said he could trace the wiring all the way back to the rear tail light to find the fault.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Left low beam - Check fuse #21 and bulb.

Does fuse #23 blow with the front side marker/blinker bulb removed ?
There is a short to ground, check both lamp units then check the Grey/Black wires between them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Left low beam - Check fuse #21 and bulb.

Does fuse #23 blow with the front side marker/blinker bulb removed ?
There is a short to ground, check both lamp units then check the Grey/Black wires between them.
I think I found the problem. The wires in the headlight assembly might be busted. I opened the connecter to the headlight assembly and the wires looked bad
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
20151103_115241.jpg
Ive been told that replacing the headlight assembly might be the only way to stop the fuse from blowing, since the condition of the wires inside seems no better..

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daytime runners on the left driver side is out. My brake lights work perfectly. Everytime I put another 5 amp fuse in the 23 slot, and as soon as I turn on my headlight switch, the fuse blows. I have had front end damage and rear end damage. Is it shorted out somewhere? I need help!

B5.5 Passat
1.8T automatic
SOLUTION: I has some similar problems with my 2005 VW Pass-at..... The issue here is with the headlights. I took the cap off the light and the wires were all exposed.... Meaning all of the plastic coating had deteriorated and fallen off the wires, which caused the wires to come in contact with each other and short-out!!!! I went to several junk-yards and looked at cars of the same era and they were all this way. buy new headlights (after-market) Problem solved!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue. 03 1.8T gls wagon 5 speed with 183k on the clock. I think I'm looking at a short in the wiring harness though. Even with both the headlight and taillight assemblies disconnected and no fuse installed I'm still showing continuity across the fuse slot. Both connectors look good. The grey/black wire on each shows minimal resistance to ground. Anyone have ideas for my next step?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
This thread is pretty old; you might do well to start your own...
But, have you checked the side marker lights in the front bumper and the rear? The front lights are pretty low, and some people don't realize they are lights, rather than just reflectors. They come out from the front (press in and slide) and are nearly inaccessible from the back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts