Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pumping gas at Costco and this guy in a '02 530i comes over and admiring my B5 and asks if it was an A4 or is it an A6 and I told him neither, it's just a VW Passat. He was shocked but I told him that they pretty much share many components and actually Audi is owned by Volkswagen. :crazy:

Then he asks me if it is the original color / paint (Nebio Blue) and I told him yes and it is a 6 YO car with almost 95K miles. He told me that bimmer's paint don't last that long since he's owned several of them.
> Maybe he does not take care of his paint because I know BMW's paint quality is up there.<

I almost told him it is a Jetta. :lol:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't know about that BMW paint thing. My friend's dad owns a 1997 540i and other then the dings on the hood from small rocks (my car already has one :mad: ) his paint looks like new! (Alpine White)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Paint matters more about "maintenance" - waxing your car once in a while will probably help keeping hte paint longer than if you never wax it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yea... my moms 97 328i has perfect paint, save a few scratches from some retard that keyed it... Knowing my mom, I doubt she ever waxed it, or if she did... there is no way she did it on any type of regular basis (maybe once or twice through ownership). BMW paint lasts a while... but Passats are still better :wink:

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
It is mostly a question of up keep on the vehicles. The better the maintenance, the better it is. You always have some that are bad, and some manufacturers are not as good as others, but BMW???. My father as a 01' M5 (i wish) and no problems and his friend has a 635 CSI, i belive now 20 years old with original paint and it looks amazing still :lol: :bow: ................. :b5: :thumbup: . But VW still rules :lol: :bow: .

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2-3 times / year of waxing with quality products helps maintain the paint. Also hand washing and doing it yourself helps a lot too.

Perhaps that guy takes his bimmers to auto car wash with the big roller brushes, etc.

*BTW, the Kamei grille is what throws most people distingusihing it from an Audi vs. a VW

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, that's a bunch of BS about the BMW paint. I traded my '99 BMW M3 (Titan Silver) with near perfect paint - with the exception of a few small chips down low on the front spoiler from rocks off of the highway. That reminds me, I need to check and see when the front end cover for the B5.5 is going to be here...

Abe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts