Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Re: funny stuff, or, anti-rice (Espaz11)

LOL. I'll drink to that
Altezzas are a tool of the DEVIL!!!

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Re: funny stuff, or, anti-rice (gietl)

The really sad thing is how many RX-300 SUVs have altezzas...

The worst is just plain stock altezzas. Doesn't that piss off the Japanese tuners? Kinda destroys the whole point of modding to be unique.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Re: funny stuff, or, anti-rice (ashman78)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>...the whole point of modding to be unique.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, hopefully after ~20-30% of the ricer crowd (age group specific - have poor taste but don't know it yet) has them, the fad will "eat itself" and disappear.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Re: funny stuff, or, anti-rice (Electron Man)

Okay... correct me if I'm wrong. But isnt' this whole "altezza craze" because of an actual Japanese car called the Altezza? You have to wonder what owners of that car think. Just imagine how many time they think about the word "poser".

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Re: funny stuff, or, anti-rice (Espaz11)

I'm confused.... What are you guys talking about? Altezza is the name of the IS300 in Japan. There is no such thing as Lexus in Japan..it's all Toyota so instead of Lexus IS300, they're Toyota Altezza.

The only reason the Lexus brand name exists is because Toyota new that Americans wouldn't shell out top $$$ for a Toyota...so you give it a new name and wala. My brother in law works for Lexus. I was also in Japan last year and witness it for my self.

Now back to this post....what do you mean "What point do they serve?"...and why the fast and the furious clip...those are civics. Again, I'm just confused by the topic; sorry.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Re: funny stuff, or, anti-rice (JimDog)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Altezza is the name of the IS300 in Japan.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting, I didn't know that. However, altezza light have been around (and so named) since before the IS300 came about, so I'm not sure of the origin. Let me go out on a limb here and say "italian"

ANywa, JimDog, when you hear "alteezza" mentioned in here, it's in reference to the see-thru, clear or chrome taillight housings.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Altezza is the name of the IS300 in Japan.

Interesting, I didn't know that. However, altezza light have been around (and so named) since before the IS300 came about, so I'm not sure of the origin. Let me go out on a limb here and say "italian"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Toyota Altezza was introduced into the Japanese market long before the Lexus IS300 was introduced here.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: funny stuff, or, anti-rice (JimDog)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Now back to this post....what do you mean "What point do they serve?"...and why the fast and the furious clip...those are civics. Again, I'm just confused by the topic; sorry.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The point of showing that clip is because the truck driver is taking a shotgun to the altezzas on the back of the civic.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Re: funny stuff, or, anti-rice (aowhaus)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The Toyota Altezza was introduced into the Japanese market long before the Lexus IS300 was introduced here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alan, so does it follow that the lights actually took on the moniker because of the car itself? I have no idea, I was hoping someone could shed some light (no pun) on the origin of the name...

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>
Alan, so does it follow that the lights actually took on the moniker because of the car itself? I have no idea, I was hoping someone could shed some light (no pun) on the origin of the name...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's correct! The Toyota Altezza was the first production car that featured those style of taillights, so it was basically named after it.

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Re: funny stuff, or, anti-rice (aowhaus)

Wow, I'm glad I posted my "confusion" then... I didn't realize those lights were called that. Now it all makes sense

1 - 13 of 13 Posts