Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my OZ Classe 8x18s and Goodyear Eagle F1s will arrive today. Tirerack shipped them when expected and they'll get here two days later. Perfect.

But... I can't help laughing at where they have been on the way. I live 1 mile from the Oakland Fedex hub. Reno is 4 hours straight down I-80 and yet...

When What Where
Apr 6, 2004 at 09:35 AM Pre-routed meter pkg picked up RENO, NV
Apr 6, 2004 at 05:22 PM Left FedEx Origin Location RENO, NV
Apr 6, 2004 at 06:53 PM Arrived at FedEx Ramp RENO, NV
Apr 6, 2004 at 07:22 PM Left FedEx Ramp RENO, NV
Apr 7, 2004 at 12:07 AM Arrived at Sort Facility MEMPHIS, TN
Apr 8, 2004 at 06:38 AM Arrived at FedEx Destination Location OAKLAND, CA
Apr 8, 2004 at 08:04 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery OAKLAND, CA

What the heck were they doing in Memphis TN??? That's the other side of the country.

·
Registered
432 Posts
They make all that stuff up to look busy. Sorting and delivering thousands of packages can't be that hard. :D

I love FedEx and UPS and USPS...rarely are they the weakest link between me and my goodies.

steve

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Memphis is the hub for fedex. Almost every package goes through memphis and then back to it's destination. It was the guys plan for better efficiency. I remember reading something that he proposed the idea in business school and they failed his project. Needless to say it works. That way they don't have to figure out how to get a package from Reno to say Phx or Oakland and PHX to san diego etc. You just take all the packages back to memphis and then load them up on the plane going to he appropriate place.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Exactly, everything goes to Memphis. They have a HUGE sort facility right next to the airport. They choose Memphis because statistically it had an advantage with least weather delays etc.

I lived there for a while and FedEx has a pretty good grip on the community.

·
Registered
26,001 Posts
We also have a huge sort facility in Oakland. And we have bypass flights that keep
the west coast freight sorted to Oakland. Don't know why it was sent to Memphis.

I have worked there 20 years,it's strange how we move stuff sometimes.

The pilots nickname is for Memphis is Melvis.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
I bet you chose 2 day service and paid more for that. if you had choosen ground you would receive tour package in 1 day or worst case scenario 2 days too.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ground would be UPS, my past experience of UPS has been that they will sit on things in their Oakland depot for a couple of days if they were supposed to take a week.

Anyway... I get home at 6pm which is when UPS close, they open at 9am? I go to work at 6:30am. So a UPS delivery today would have got to me on Saturday.

Fedex is open until 8pm, so by the time they closed I had already got the wheels unpacked and found that I was too dumb to locate the wheel bolt key in the toolkit flap pocket. :oops:

But they are on now :D

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
geordie said:
Ground would be UPS, my past experience of UPS has been that they will sit on things in their Oakland depot for a couple of days if they were supposed to take a week.

Anyway... I get home at 6pm which is when UPS close, they open at 9am? I go to work at 6:30am. So a UPS delivery today would have got to me on Saturday.

Fedex is open until 8pm, so by the time they closed I had already got the wheels unpacked and found that I was too dumb to locate the wheel bolt key in the toolkit flap pocket. :oops:

But they are on now :D
:lol: :lol: I did the samething

I ripped the package appart and my bolts went to the dumpster. with the package.
Lucky me i figured it out soon enough....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
1.8Tabamoura
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing