Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning in Steven's parents' house netted us a bunch of mid 70's Motor Trend mags! I am slowly going through them sifting for VW content. The articles are fantastic, and the mileage ratings for some of the cars are just abominable. 13mpg seems like a popluar number.

I will post up to this thread as I find cool tidbits.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Reading an old (1970?) review of the Pontiac GTO I was surprised to read about how it performed well getting sidways etc on dirt roads. I suppose that there are less dirt roads now, but this is not even metioned anymore. The article kind of made it sound like everyone was going to be driving these things like the General Lee.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Cathy, can you scan / print any advertisments? Especially car advertisements w/$$$ amounts. It'd be fun to show the "yougun's" what things cost back in the Nixon/Ford/Carter years. Also, the gas prices (remember the Embargo?) 72' was the year that changed everything IIRC: 5mph bumpers... made every car in America look like it had some quasimodo growth on the snout of every car!
Also, that was the decade (late) "turbo" became the new buzzword.

But please, no Mustang II's. We need to reserve SOME decency on this forums. :lol:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try. There is a hysterical ad for a Renault Guarino (?) - a sliding top coupe on a bed of astroturf and plastic flowers.

More Opel ads than you can shake a stick at.

Did you know that Datsun Saves?

Ah, 1972. We are old enough to remember pre-cat cars. It seems so funny that we pine for freedom from engine management now.

A wonderful spread on 20 ways to save gas, one of which was to consider a front spoiler. The last line of it noted that large rear wings on smaller cars frequently increased drag and therefore should be avoided.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Wow, good ol' Datsun. Wonder how many here remember the transition to Nissan!
The 240Z and 510 BRE's were the sh!t back then weren't they?

My next door neighbor always had an Opel Cadet. Thought it was kinda cute for a sports car; guy around the next block had a Lotus Elan.

Ferrari 308GTB's must of been new back then too! That was THE exoticar of choice, before that nomenclature became part of our vocabulary. But my favorite car back in the early 70's was a BMW 6 series Alpina. That thing look so hot for a sedan. Always passed by it when I went to school. The Barvaria was up there too.

VW only registered on the radar only due to the Beetle looking so weird. Me and my brother would always count how many we could find on our way to Chinatown every weekend (slug-bug contest).

Hey, weren't they still giving away S&W or Blue Chip stamps back in the early 70's???

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
HermanH said:
Wow, good ol' Datsun. Wonder how many here remember the transition to Nissan!
The 240Z and 510 BRE's were the sh!t back then weren't they?
When I lived in West Chester (outside Philly) in the early 80's, a friend of mine used to SCCA autocross a 510. It was a pretty sweet car...poor man's BMW. Ahhh, the memories!

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
I loved the skid pad numbers from back then. Any econobox today can beat them.
As much I loved the freedom from engine electronics,I love the MPG and power I get now.
And engine size,I remember a customer complaining that the new Caddy 4.1 was
too small of an engine to make any power. Back then a small block was a small
motor!
PZ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts