Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone's used this: http://www.fumotovalve.com
They say it's only for 98-99 Passats, but unless they changed the size of the bolt, I'm hoping it will work on my 2000 too. I'm about to do my first DIY oil change and I can see how this would come in very handy. I go thru 5k miles rather quickly and I don't have a lot of space to work on the car; this looks like it would be very convinient. I also saw this
http://www.dieselgeek.com/fumoto.htm
which would be even cooler as I wouldn't have to remove the belly cover (mine just came off because the pricks who did the last oil change didn't put the screws back in properly. I'm not putting it back on till I change oil). And on the 1.8T you can change the oil filter from the top.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have you considered an oil extractor? Consumer Reports evaluated two models a few years ago, and concluded that they performed very well. I use a Griot's Garage extractor, which was one of the models tested by CR, and it does a great job of draining oil from the top through the dipstick access. There are other extractors that do just as well but cost considerably less -- do a search here at clubb5 and at vwvortex.
Kevin

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
That 98-9 B5 may truly only be for those years. I would be careful in extrapolating into any more recent years. The drainplug on my 98 AEB is 2mm larger ; from 17mm to 19mm. Could always ask for clarification.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to this page http://fumotousa.com/size_import.htm "99 & on oil pans with recessed plug require adapter ADP-106". So it looks like it would work. Would make oil drain a dream.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just dont piss off your b5'r friends that know you got one or you'll have an empty oil pan after drinkin one night... :lol: :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
do you think it would work as well

i mean it just seems like it would leave alot in there becuase the whole is up a bit more than usuall

i saw a similar product at wallmart but i never trusted something like that from a walmart

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Fram has a similar device calls the Sure Drain.

http://www.autobarn.net/frasdseries.html

http://toolparadise.com/company/B5/
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

If you have the 1.8T engine, don't waste your money with this valve. Look into using the oil extractor instead. There is no more crawling underneath the engine, no need to remove the PITA belly pan, no need to ever replace the crush washer, your complete oil change from top of the engine without getting your hand dirty. Many of us B5ers including myself have sworn by this oil extractor method. Changing oil is now a cinch with the oil extractor :thumbup: .

·
Registered
424 Posts
vuvision said:
There is no more crawling underneath the engine, no need to remove the PITA belly pan, no need to ever replace the crush washer, your complete oil change from top of the engine without getting your hand dirty. Many of us B5ers including myself have sworn by this oil extractor method. Changing oil is now a cinch with the oil extractor :thumbup: .
Just out of curiousity, whats the frequency of your filter changes/and can you get to the filter from the top of the engine? I assumed you had to go below... Never done a change on the b5 on my own, but prob going to start...

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
kuntakintay said:
vuvision said:
There is no more crawling underneath the engine, no need to remove the PITA belly pan, no need to ever replace the crush washer, your complete oil change from top of the engine without getting your hand dirty. Many of us B5ers including myself have sworn by this oil extractor method. Changing oil is now a cinch with the oil extractor :thumbup: .
Just out of curiousity, whats the frequency of your filter changes/and can you get to the filter from the top of the engine? I assumed you had to go below... Never done a change on the b5 on my own, but prob going to start...
Change your oil filter each time you change your oil. Assuming you have the 1.8T engine, the oil filter is easily accessible from top by removing the coolant water bottle (3 screws).

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Big thumbs up on the sure drain. It's very concealed on the VW oil pans (it doesn't protrude more than the stock plug) so your not going to loose your oil if on one of the 'oh too common' bottom strikes.

The fumoto sticks out WAY too far IMHO, plus you are depending on the ball valve to hold all your oil back. With the Sure-Drain, you have the leaf valve in the main bidy, and a nice reliable compression o-ring on the cap.

I have the Sure Drain on my V6, and on my girlies 01 1.8T Jetta, and it assures a 'dodn't spill a drop on the new garage floor' oil change every time (well when employing some unorthodoxed filter removal techniques... BIG zip-lock baggies :) ).

Two thumbs up on the sure drain.

Oh, I should note that the drain is slower. You have to be patient (have a beer) while you are waiting for hte drain. I usually give it 8-10 minutes.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Just from looking at the two designs, the sure drain seems to be the better of the two. It requires a dedicated key to open the valve, I like the back up cap with o-ring. Seems to be much simplier and more reliable, by design it should cost less than the fumoto.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I put the Fumoto valve, with the nipple extension for a hose, on my '03 W8. No problem, not fit issues, sticks out to the side. I also have a Griot's oil extractor. It works well. But, after sucking air near bottom, I found that when I went to put in the Fumoto I still had over a quart of oil left in the bottom of the pan. My manual calls for 10K oil& filter changes. No way. I change with the extractor at every 5K - using Valvoline Synpower 5w-40w, and change filter every 10K.

My stupid dealer insists on using 0w-30w, which is against all the literature. They claimed Germany is hotter than Atlanta. Sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts