Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

A week ago I noticed an "exhaust" type smell in my car. I thought it was because I was in stop in go traffic, but now it seems excessive. I don't have climate control, just the regular air condition.

1. The vents are set for "fresh"

2. The smell is chemical in nature.... it's not gasoline, but I think it's exhaust.

3. It irritiates my nostrils.

I just had a test where I drove with the windows rolled down and "flushed" all the bad air outta the car. Then I parked it, rolled the windows up, left it on idle, and stepped outside the car for 5 minutes. I opened the door and , yes, there is definitely some type of fumes in the car.

What do you think? Is it bad to drive it? Any solutions?

Randy

·
Registered
239 Posts
does it smell like something burning

For me, it was oil leaking from valve cover on to something really hot like exhaust system and the fumes went under engine and up near the cabin filter.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Set your vents to recirc until you fix the problem. It is a leak from one of the following: Valve cover gasket, cam chain tensioner gasket/seal or the PCV system.

You should also check that the rubber seal at the back of the engine compartment is in place. It should reduce the smell but not eliminate it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm guessing your main breather hose is broken. That's what makes my car stink. I really need to install that new breather system I bought.

DING DING DING......... WE HAVE A WINNER HERE!

Breather hose was on recall......... techs said hole in it, spewing oil. Dealer is replacing with no charge. Thanks everyone!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts