Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping around a for a full synthetic oil that meets the specifications in my user guide, but I have yet to actually find a full synth 5W-30 that is ACEA A2 or A3, or API SJ. The closest I was able to find is Castrol GTX High Mileage, but that's only part synth. Is this just a guideline and can any of the other APIs be used with my car, or is that a huge no-no?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
You'll wish you hadn't asked this here. SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND HERE!!! There are thousands of these posts all over the place here, please search!!

Having said that, since you don't seem to know much about these cars, I'd suggest skipping the boutique oils and purchase the correct oil for the car locally, off the shelf. Mobil1 0w-40, Castrol Syntec 5w-40, Castrol Syntec 0w-30, or even Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. The first three oils I mentioned are VW502.00 certified, though at your car's age it doesn't matter. And make sure to use the correct filter, if ordering online it's a Mann 940/25 (IIRC). If you want to use the fancy boutique oils, you'll need to order online most likely; I've used Total Quartz Energy 9000 5w-40 and Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40 with great results. There are so many out there it's not worth listing it all. I suspect this thread will be locked before lunch today.

-Mike

·
Registered
800 Posts
Keep an eye out for sales of Mobil! 0-40 or Castrol Syntec 5-40 . Usually available about everywhere and the sales often include a filter .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.