Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27,113 Posts
They look very similar except Bentley has diagrams based on each model year and options for that year. These look to be basic 2000my only.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,601 Posts
Are these different or better than what I would find in the Bentley manual?
Different? no. Better? May be, May be not.

Diagrams should reveal the same connections between two points no matter the source. However, some diagrams are made with clearer layout which makes reading them easier. I, personally, never used Bentley manual because I simply didn't have access to it but many have mentioned how good it is for its schematic and diagrams.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
These drawings differ significantly from the Bentley schematics. They both depict the same wiring, but in rather different ways. I suspect most people would find these drawings easier to read.

The Bentley drawings are dyed in the wool German drawings--they show a huge amount of detail, e.g. every connector that every wire passes through. But they go on for pages and pages with many cross references (page jumps), some of which are implied and lead to different schematics altogether. You often have to study the Bentley schematics for a while to deduce how a particular system works. The above schematics put each system on a single page (or two), so it's a lot easier to get your arms around, but a lot of detail is not shown.

As PZ noted, the Bentley has specific schematics for different build dates, engines, and trim (e.g. Climatronic or not). The Bentley schematics are the gold standard for information, but not the easiest to use.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These drawings differ significantly from the Bentley schematics. They both depict the same wiring, but in rather different ways. I suspect most people would find these drawings easier to read.

The Bentley drawings are dyed in the wool German drawings--they show a huge amount of detail, e.g. every connector that every wire passes through. But they go on for pages and pages with many cross references (page jumps), some of which are implied and lead to different schematics altogether. You often have to study the Bentley schematics for a while to deduce how a particular system works. The above schematics put each system on a single page (or two), so it's a lot easier to get your arms around, but a lot of detail is not shown.

As PZ noted, the Bentley has specific schematics for different build dates, engines, and trim (e.g. Climatronic or not). The Bentley schematics are the gold standard for information, but not the easiest to use.
I agree. With knowledge of the bentley schematics the above is a peace of cake..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts