Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently get about 470 miles max (mixed driving) from a full tank IMO this is quite poor especially when the the tanks is 55+litres, another dubber has got 570 miles and thats before the light came on,you can get another 50 miles from reserve (thats pushing it) so its fair to say thats very good mpg as the passats a heavier car n all that............ive heard that the pd engines are quite thirsty but what i dont realise is why the big difference, i would like to know what kind of mileage other members are getting especially from the Passat 130 or any other advice :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
I get between 450 - 550 miles per tank on my PD130, but as its a taxi, most of this is heavy urban driving with lots of tick over time when waiting etc, which of course uses some fuel for 0 miles at all.
In a previous b5 90hp tdi i had, i used to get around 650 miles per tank in those conditions, but at a snails pace.
With the massively increased injection pressure, and accompanied torque etc that goes with the PD engine, i dont begrudge it using more fuel, its me that squirts it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that elton, gives me a better idea, is that figure before the reserve light comes on, iv found that the light comes on way to early im aware that you can still get around 40 miles from reserve, my light came on at 440 then i did 30miles =470, id kill for over 500miles, maybe il get that on a motorway journey

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yeah that was about the time when the light comes on, the warning light is set to come on at 55 miles left on the range, (can be adjusted with vag-com i have read) so if your average mpg is high you will actually have less fuel when the light comes on, than if you had a low average mpg, if you get my meaning? (drive carefully when the light comes on, and you can get it to go off again when your average increases the range to above 55). FYI : You can go well under the '0 miles' range also, although i wouldnt advise it.
You would easily get 500+ on a motorway if your cruise speed is less than 70mph. A trip to cornwall last year (285 miles) gave me an average of 54.8 mpg, i still had plenty over 1/2 of the full tank when i got there, but the roads are very slow on this journey (a+b = 90% ) which makes for even better economy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know this doesn't relate much to your situation, but with my 1998 Passat 1.8t I was able to get about 490 miles from a tank full, with fuel light on and maybe 20 miles to empty.

However, this was all highway miles traveling at around 70 MPH most of the time. The trip was from Bend, Oregon to Sacramento, California on Highway 97 and I-5, about a 50/50 mix of minor and major highway driving with a few stops.

This worked out to about 34.5 MPG. I would have dismissed this as a fluke but I got similar, though better results on a trip from Sacramento to Corpus Christi, Texas. During most of this trip I was getting about 34+MPG doing 80 MPH most of the time.

I thought for sure that the computer must have been incorrect, but I checked it the old fashion way and got the same results. I have a GIAC chip and Techtonics DP back exhaust.

Despite all the problems, I just ADORE this car!

·
Registered
503 Posts
The gap between petrol and PD diesels is diminishing, but the engine is a completely different drive.
Your US gallon is a different size to ours too, so mpg figures cant be compared. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i only signed up to this forum yesterday, iv been viewing it for a while & just wanna say that the guys on here are very helpful:thumbup: , going off on a tangent, i spent some money recently and installed a HID kit in my projector lamps VERY nice its a 6000k that gives daylight output, and the 20gig phatbox is pretty cool too, next week hopefully its cruise control ( i can recommend a top guy whowill supply and fit for about £160 hes done 4 cars previously for me no probs), thats why i wanted to clarify what mpg other members are getting didnt want to spend more money on the car if something was wrong, but im probably not driving it sensibly il try to keep the foot a bit lighter n c what results i get, also due an oil change is it best just to use the vw PD engine oil in the red/grey tub 6/30?? rating, engine sounding like a truck at the mo im hoping a new filter & oil will cure this, also theres a lot of knocking going on when im driving very annoying is this a common problem, im used to driving a bora with Bilstein coilovers it was very solid and quiet, im not that impressed with the sport suspension:biglaugh:

·
Registered
503 Posts
pachanga231 said:
theres a lot of knocking going on when im driving very annoying is this a common problem, im used to driving a bora with Bilstein coilovers it was very solid and quiet, im not that impressed with the sport suspension:biglaugh:
Shouldnt be getting any knocking, but the sport suspension isnt good i agree (but i make use of it in the corners without complaint) , in hindsight i would have been much better off with a non sport, 5 speed model for my use. 6 gears is great and all, but i keep finding myself 'inbetween gears', my old 5 sp did almost everything in 3rd and 4th, now i need to use all 6.

·
Registered
42 Posts
a weeks holiday to dorset i got just under 700 miles on full tank. Around town isn't very impressive but compared to my old vectra it's 10 times better and a lot more fun to drive.
Doesn't the temp affect the mpg, cold day = more fuel.
That cruise control sounds very interesting, can it be done to any model as was told by dealer that it isn't practical (very very expensive) and is not possible on all models..

·
Registered
864 Posts
Man, I would KILL for this kind of gas mileage. I get like 240/tank with city/highway with very moderate driving. I am NOT a fast driver due to the fact I got 185k miles on her, lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
odd. my '03 1.8t manual gets up to 34mpg (US) on the highway even at very illegal speeds with the AC on. even in general city/highway travel I usually go 350-375 miles between fills.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I managed to get 570 out of 3/4 of a tank on my TDi 110 2000 plate.

This was mainly from motorway driving, although i must admit i did not floor it unless i was going downhill ;-) and driving at about 65 - 80, mainly at the lower end if i could help it. this gave me 57mpg believe it or not. took some pics so i could show my mates and a quick vid.

will post when i get a chance.

it really depends how you drive. there are times when i am on the motorway, that i just want to floor it and i do, but not for long, only so i could get away from some numpty who likes driving upto close and personal if you knwo what i mean...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts