Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle Specs:
'98 Passat AEB 1.8T
SSP Stage 2 Ecu (22psi)
NXS MBC (set down to 15psi)
Catless DP (Test Pipe)
Forge 007 Diverter Valve (8-20psi spring)
Front Mount Intercooler
R8 Coils

So Im at the point of what should my next modification should be. I've also felt as though im not getting the power I should be from my setup.

So number 1 I'd like to figure if either my injectors are falling on their face or any of them are bad (I've also just ordered a nice boost leak tester just in case thats another problem but ive been meticulous about all that).

I'm wondering how I can diagnose the fuel injector efficiency with VCDS and a couple mathematical equations.

I have done plenty of searching but just haven't found exactly what I'm looking for and I always like to hear the opinions and suggestions from you guys.

I've "heard" that most of the stock AEB fuel setup is more then capable with the setup Im running but is it efficient and is good for longevity?

I dont think I need a billet high flow rail and 5bar + FPR (Although the 034 kit is purty) but I'm wondering if I could benefit from some larger injectors?!

I've never looked for crazy power from this, its just a nice setup for spirited driving.

Thanks for all the ideas guys..

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
K03 Turbo? 15 psi is about all you can get before it runs out of breath. You won't outrun the injectors with the K03.

Have you tried ultrasonic cleaning or a cleaning service?

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
With 22psi you are just pushing hot air out of that stock AEB K03. It's great for mid range torque, but not HP. The injectors are also pretty small, so you can upgrade to later AUG/AWM (I think the ATW are larger too). You will need tuning to match. Another option is a newer turbo, anything from a later style (B6 Audi) K03 (210hp crank), K04 (220hp) or Frankenturbo (300hp) while keeping decent spool for daily driving.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
With 22psi you are just pushing hot air out of that stock AEB K03. It's great for mid range torque, but not HP. The injectors are also pretty small, so you can upgrade to later AUG/AWM (I think the ATW are larger too). You will need tuning to match. Another option is a newer turbo, anything from a later style (B6 Audi) K03 (210hp crank), K04 (220hp) or Frankenturbo (300hp) while keeping decent spool for daily driving.
I seem to remember that if you upgrade to the later model injectors, the injector seats need to be changed too. The screw-in plastic cups in the manifold. True?

Also, the B6 A4 1.8T used the same turbo as the B5.5 and had the same 170hp stock. Fueling (282cc injector vs 210cc),VVT upgrades and higher boost pressure provided more HP over the B5 motor. The part numbers are essentially the same between those turbos. The B5 (AEB) ended in 703 L and the ATW/AUG/AWM/AMB ended in 703 J. Same exhaust manifold part number AEB through AWM.

Leave it to Rusty to document using larger injectors...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K03 Turbo? 15 psi is about all you can get before it runs out of breath. You won't outrun the injectors with the K03.

Have you tried ultrasonic cleaning or a cleaning service?
I seem to remember that if you upgrade to the later model injectors, the injector seats need to be changed too. The screw-in plastic cups in the manifold. True?

Also, the B6 A4 1.8T used the same turbo as the B5.5 and had the same 170hp stock. Fueling (282cc injector vs 210cc),VVT upgrades and higher boost pressure provided more HP over the B5 motor. The part numbers are essentially the same between those turbos. The B5 (AEB) ended in 703 L and the ATW/AUG/AWM/AMB ended in 703 J. Same exhaust manifold part number AEB through AWM.

Leave it to Rusty to document using larger injectors...
Yeah its a brand new K03 s I installed this last month. Yeah ive read alot about what boost the AEB is happy with so thats why I turned the MBC down to 15psi. I wasn't intentionally looking for a stage 2 ecu I just came across a really good deal on one from B5 A4. Unfortunately the guy who sold it didn't know anything about what was on the tune other then 22psi haha. I had to even ask him the Octane rating.

One of my first ideas was to throw the injectors in this super sonic jewelry cleaner i have but first wanted to test them first and thought there wasnt a good way through VCDS (like measuring block 032?)

I'm not looking for more power then what I'm putting down to be honest. My AEB has over 200k miles on it now so my idea is when it's time I will do a rebuild and use one of the Holset HX35's I have laying around. But for now I choose to daily drive my B5 over my '13 C300.

In my research I have read about using the newer injectors and some say they had no problems fitting and some said they needed to change out the injector cups in the intake manifold.

I'm just taking a quick break so couldn't respond well so I will get on tonight and read your guy's responses a bit better again.

PEACE.

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
The later K03 (often called the K03S) did have a larger compressor and could flow more when chipped. It was confirmed here:

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
The later K03 (often called the K03S) did have a larger compressor and could flow more when chipped. It was confirmed here:
gotcha. I looked a little harder.

K03-005 aka K03 Specs:
Compressor: 36/50
Turbine: 36/45

K03-029 aka K03S Specs:
Compressor:36/50
Turbine: 40/45

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah thats why I decided to go with the K03-S Borg when I bought the new turbo cause I figured Id get a little bit more flow. I almost went with a K04 but the thought if I wanted noticablely more power Id go hybrid with the Frankenturbo. But With the K03S I got a small benefit and I wouldnt have to change my tune.

Like I had brought up before when I go for a bigger snail its when I do a rebuild but will probably go for the Holset.

So as for the injectors I was taking a look around and found these up for sale and I will probably grab them this week...

I wish I knew a lot more about the SSP Stage 2 Tuned Ecu I bought. The original owner knew jack all, so I actually sent SSP Tuning to just open a line of communication (Sent 2 Emails) but they have not returned any messages. A bit frustrating since I was trying to not only see what the tune entailed but also for him to do some more tweaking on it. Unfortunately during that time I did some research on SSP Tuning "Tunes" and some believe the owner to be a bit of a shady character. It seems as though he has taken tunes from other customers (GIAC etc...) and has sold them as his own tune, Im pretty sure when I go with the HX-35 Holset I will be doing MegaSquirt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts