Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a coincidence? I replaced the fuel pump on my wife's 2004 Passat B5.5 which was very easy BTW. Started right up and Drove it around about 10 miles, no problem. After a day, the gas cap warning light illuminates. :confused: Is this coincidence and the gas cap seal is no good anymore or did I not screw the large ring cap to hold the fuel pump in place tight enough? Any feedback is appreciated.

John

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Be cautious about filling the tank until you are certain the tank seal (secured by that ring) is OK. Otherwise, it will leak gas out if that is where air is coming in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ylwagon, thanks. When I installed it, I used a hammer and screwdriver to tighten the ring. Grabbed the top of the pump, felt it was loose, and banged it more to tighten until the pump wouldn't move anymore. I will check it again.

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok. i was able to rotate the ring about 15 degrees tighter. lets see if that is enough. instead of using a screwdriver i used a hardwood dowel. i had much more confidence i wasn't going to snap one of the tabs off.

john

1 - 4 of 4 Posts