Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Use words like "explosive liquid" "children" "disaster", you'll get more response. Trying to take the normal logical route isn't going to get you anywhere.

Skip the dealer, go straight to VW USA, keep going over heads if you have to, the proper chain of command will keep getting you the same answer. I don't know if I still have the letter I wrote on my computer if I do I'll post it.
thanks for posting your experience. and not sure if it can help me but i think if you could post the letter you sent to VWOA it would be extremely useful for some of us going through the same thing.

I bypassed dealer completely and went right to VWOA. After a few calls, I spoke to regional case manager/supervisor and used all the dangerous words you provided- explosive, fuel leak, children, etc. And btw- I do have 2 kids under 10 years of age that drive in the car with me most of the time! And I live in CA, the most firestorm friendly state in all of US!

At any rate- they basically told me, in a very nice and patient way, to piss off. They said my car was too old, had too many miles, was out of warranty, etc, etc.

And they said that is was a GLS. So regardless if the recall was not complete or part replaced, the recall that covered the faulty ventilation valve was only for 4motion passats.

Therefore the dealer was never required to drop the tank to check and replace part. They said since the faulty built-in ventilation valve wasn't included in the original recall for GLS models (only the heat shield for the fuel lines was recalled), if it is faulty now it's my problem to fix, not theirs.

They could care less if I had to junk it or if it caught fire with me and my kids driving around in it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was just the fuel pump seal.

·
Registered
910 Posts
If by 'top off the tank' you mean 'keep adding fuel after the pump turns itself off' then I would suggest not doing that. I've heard that referred to as 'over-filling' and while I don't know if that causes any problems, in general I think it is best to let the pump turn itself off and then just remove the handle. If that's not the case then yeah, hopefully it was just the fuel pump seal. That fits the symptoms you were seeing pretty well and it is certainly possible to install them incorrectly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
UPDATE:

As an update to my original post back in 2013, I was cruising on the interweb and was reading up on recalls. Don't ask I have no idea why.

I have a 2005 1.8t 4 motion wagon that had the fuel vent fail on top of the tank which was a recall posted in 2008 (I purchased the car used in 2013). You can read the post but after back and forth VWoA fixed the problem free of charge.

While there is no statute of limitations on the recall itself, there is a statute of limitations when they do not have to fix the recall free of charge. This was written in 2013 on Edmund's website:

"There is a limit on how far back a manufacturer has to go to fix problems without charging the owner. Vehicles eligible for no-cost repair can't be more than 10 years old as of the date the defect was determined. So a recall ordered this year would only reach back to cars sold new from 2003 onward. There is a more complete list of rules on NHTSA's recall process site."

So it looks like as far are FREE OF CHARGE repairs that may be tougher to do now, however, I wouldn't give up, make enough noise and irritate enough people stuff changes. :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Long time VW/Audi family. But my kid just worked all summer and then used her minimum wage + tip money to buy (against parent’s advice :) ) a 2003 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion Sedan 4D with 120,000 to take off to college. Day 2 had CEL, Day 3 gas was leaking from driver’s side in front of rear wheel. As I have come to find out (in the last 24 hours) classic 4-motion fuel tank ventilation value issue. I haven’t been successful with the search function here... but I’ve seen from various threads about the 2008 recall, and ten-plus-years-on how people continue to fight with VW to cover the replacement of the tank and valve. Best I can tell, people were still successful in 2017 to get VWoA to cover the repair. But, now we are over the 10 year mark. I’ve heard $2k to $2.7k to replace the tank and valve. Boggles the mind how a recall can become no longer the manufacturer’s issue with the passage of time.

Anyone had success recently with VW covering the gas tank and vent valve repair?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Long time VW/Audi family. But my kid just worked all summer and then used her minimum wage + tip money to buy (against parent’s advice :) ) a 2003 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion Sedan 4D with 120,000 to take off to college. Day 2 had CEL, Day 3 gas was leaking from driver’s side in front of rear wheel. As I have come to find out (in the last 24 hours) classic 4-motion fuel tank ventilation value issue. I haven’t been successful with the search function here... but I’ve seen from various threads about the 2008 recall, and ten-plus-years-on how people continue to fight with VW to cover the replacement of the tank and valve. Best I can tell, people were still successful in 2017 to get VWoA to cover the repair. But, now we are over the 10 year mark. I’ve heard $2k to $2.7k to replace the tank and valve. Boggles the mind how a recall can become no longer the manufacturer’s issue with the passage of time.

Anyone had success recently with VW covering the gas tank and vent valve repair?
I got the tank on my '05 wagon replaced last year. I was told that the recall had been taken care of with the first owner and the dealership did not want to help me. I got this document https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2008/RCRIT-08V156-9013.pdf and did my research and called VW of America directly and after much arguing they inspected the car and finally changed the gas tank. My car is an '05 wagon 4motion with a manual trans.
One thing that helped was that I was able to get a picture of the leaking vent valve by using an inspection camera.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Excellent update, thanks. We have a inspection scheduled this Friday! We’ll keep saying “explosion”, “fire”, “known dangerous situation”....

·
Registered
26,120 Posts
Sorry, I misread your post as passenger side. Since it's the driver's side, it is very likely the recall issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Long time VW/Audi family. But my kid just worked all summer and then used her minimum wage + tip money to buy (against parent’s advice :) ) a 2003 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion Sedan 4D with 120,000...Anyone had success recently with VW covering the gas tank and vent valve repair?
Just a follow up. VW has agreed to replace the fuel tank and vent valve for free! Here we are September 2019... 11 years after the recall. My kid is very happy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
No matter how many times I said my kids ride in my Family car that can catch fire with this leak, they said they will not even help me fix it. I'd be cool with them just giving me a new tank and I'll replace it at home.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No matter how many times I said my kids ride in my Family car that can catch fire with this leak, they said they will not even help me fix it. I'd be cool with them just giving me a new tank and I'll replace it at home.
Did you talk to the dealership or to a rep at VWoA? You will get nowhere with the dealership. If the recall comes up when you search the VIN and the leak has to do with the recall they have to fix it. If there is any damage under the vehicle from hitting things in the road they can argue that that is what caused the leak. But if you have not called or chatted online with VWoA then you have not done enough.
On my car they said the recall had been addressed already but it turned out it was only the part about heat shields not the tank replacement. If you go up a few posts you will see where I added a link to the recall document. Fighting with the dealership will only make you angry, you have to get VWoA involved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you talk to the dealership or to a rep at VWoA? You will get nowhere with the dealership. If the recall comes up when you search the VIN and the leak has to do with the recall they have to fix it. If there is any damage under the vehicle from hitting things in the road they can argue that that is what caused the leak. But if you have not called or chatted online with VWoA then you have not done enough.
On my car they said the recall had been addressed already but it turned out it was only the part about heat shields not the tank replacement. If you go up a few posts you will see where I added a link to the recall document. Fighting with the dealership will only make you angry, you have to get VWoA involved.
I never talked to a dealer. I went straight to VWoA with the recall information. I sent them pictures. I was nice and polite. I also told them this was my family car in which I used to transport my kids to and from school in. They said it was satisfied in 08 but couldn't tell me what was replaced. I told them the date code on the tank was 01 and they said they won't help me with a tow, inspection or replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also contacted the NHTSA and filed a complaint. They said they don't follow up with the manufacturers on anything other than filing the initial recall. So, no help there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
VWoA has to be able to determine what was done to satisfy the recall in '08 and if it did not fix the problem they should have to fix it now. My car was at the dealership when I got VWoA to send an inspector to look at it. They and the dealership originally told me that the recall work had been done but when pressed on the issue they determined that a tank had not been ordered so we knew it was never replaced. Sorry for your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yup, VWoA is a piece of work. I just finished a 2 hr long conversation with them and they still denied the recall. They said that since there was no leak at the time of inspection in '08, the recall was satisfied and closed. I sent them pics and everything.They said they cannot even tell me what was done or what dealer even looked at it. Great job VWoA. Good luck everyone.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts