Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi, I'm in the UK where there was no recall so I also resorted to DIY costing about £5

*UPDATED METHOD*

6" high pressure SAEJ30R6 hose 6mm bore (non braided type)
3 jubilee clips
6mm to 8mm metal hose joiner
2 x cable ties

Cut solid fuel pipe at fracture using pipe cutter.
Remove clip and cut pipe from hose.
Gently manipulate the solid fuel pipe so it lays against bracket (to allow for cable ties)
Use hot water to soften hose and force onto solid fuel pipe and fasten with clip.
Connect joiner at other ends of hoses and fasten with clips.
Cable tie as shown in pic below

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
Very clean. good idea to soften the hose. It is a very tight fit.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
Just going to bump this back up. The line shown in these fixes is actually the supply line. Connects to the front end of the rail. Return is at the back by the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

fuel supply line.jpg

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Is there any dealer fix for this? I just looked at mine and there seems to be plenty of foam rubber inside the clip to protect the fuel lines (which show no marks or wear). Does this mean that the foam was replaced/upgraded or is this the way they all started before wearing through the foam first, then the fuel lines?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yeah mine has just gone again tonight...as in the pipe that VW replaced 8 years ago at my cost has failed again, at the same junction. Unreal!
I agree with Vagguy, the pics show supply not return, the middle pipe in my car is definitely supply, so high pressure.
I will bring to my mechanic John see if he can Macgyver it, he's not keen on a Macgyver solution only so far as it gets it to his garage.

Is there any dealer fix for this? I just looked at mine and there seems to be plenty of foam rubber inside the clip to protect the fuel lines (which show no marks or wear). Does this mean that the foam was replaced/upgraded or is this the way they all started before wearing through the foam first, then the fuel lines?
the dealer fix in good ole USA is to replace the complete pipe under warranty. Here in Ireland and also UK they didn't cover the cost so we got stung with that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
This is an incredible design feature, in a bad way. I can't believe that more cars (or even people!) haven't burned up from it. Maybe they have and I just don't know about it.

It turns out that a Previous Owner had the recall done in 2010. But the fuel line joint failed on me ~2016. My half-assed fix to it tends to work itself loose every 6 months or so, putting myself and my vehicle/contents at the significant risk of a blazing fireball.

Is there any hope of VW paying for repair on my fuel line, even though they have it on record that "the recall was performed" on this vehicle? I am assuming they won't be ready to do so, but probably would do the work if I paid them their asking price for it.

I have also finally taken steps to upgrade my half-assed fix (high quality fuel tubing and hose clamps on cut-off ends of metal lines, the clamps slide off over time) to a whole-assed fix (use a flaring tool to put a bump on the end of the metal lines) and hope that it will reduce the chances of starting up that blazing fireball. I'm also considering getting a used line from the junkyard, and moving my joint over near the wheel-well/air-intake to be further from the hot spots.

It is kind of amazing that this feature hasn't gotten more long-term exposure and negative publicity for the company who designed/implemented it yet apparently refuses to fix it.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
My whole-ass fix is still holding strong after at least a year. I cut out about 2" from the break and bubble flared each end. Forced fuel injection hose over it and used fuel hose clamps. No weeping, movement, or anything.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts