Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like another moron-moment for me...

My friend with a TDi has been telling me for a long time that using alcohol-based injector cleaners are bad for his cars injectors and can eat away at them...

being the "genius" that i am, i thought that only meant diesel cars, since so much of his stuff is different from our cars...

with an almost empty tank of gas, i head up to R&S strauss and pick up a bottle of any old injector cleaner...throw it in the tank and fill up on 93-octane...

an hour after i did this, i start my car and now it sounds like a Mack-Truck diesel...its SOOOO loud and feels like the engine may be knocking because the car shakes alot more... :mad:

my friend said "I told you to check the label!!"...apparently all the injectors are the same since its a VW....his are bigger i believe, but made of the same material...

so don't be like me and think that any old fuel injector cleaner will work...make sure that it is NOT ALCOHOL-BASED!!!

i'll try and post an audio-clip if i remember...

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Sorry to hear the news...what was the brand you used? I threw in a bottle of Synpower Fuel System Cleaner couple of weeks ago...no problems, but to be honest, I never read the ingredients label.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
I can't believe one can of cleaner would actually ruin your injectors. Before I ship mine to you, are you SURE that's what you need? I'd like to keep this topic bumped for a few days and see if anyone chimes in with an alternate diagnosis/solution.

·
Registered
541 Posts
First of all the injectors in a TDI are COMPLETELY different than a 1.8T. And the reason you can't use alcohol based additives in a diesel is because it can damage the injection pump.

I don't know anything about alcohol and gasoline injectors.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
You can get the VW/Audi cleaner from some shops and probably the dealer. There is a local shop to me $3.20/bottle. Use it once a month to keep the car happy. Of course I just started using it in the Passat and the Audi.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
wow i didn't know my car was so sensitive!!! thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
that sounds really weird and dont see how one can of that stuff can do that. i use all types of injector cleaner never had a problem i just read the label just to make shure its ok to use on o2 sensored cars >> :nervous:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
That's pretty strange. I know using cheap fuel all the time is bad for your car and probably using cheap cleaner is bad but I didn't think it would have an instantaneous affect. Cheap fuels use more alcohol to get the octane ratings up, this tends to dry out all the rubber in your fuel system. It can cause some serious issues.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
CRD99 said:
...alcohol ... tends to dry out all the rubber in your fuel system. It can cause some serious issues.
So maybe the rubber o-rings were marginal, and the alchohol-based stuff didn't get mixed thoroughly, so it was concentrated at the bottom of the tank, and it caused the o-rings to go critical???

Maybe all you need is new injector o-rings? If they're are bad, then you should be able to affect significant changes in the way your engine runs by wiggling, pushing-on, pulling-on, etc. the fuel rail.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I put 12oz of GUNK FI/Carb Cleaner in a full tank on my car a few weeks ago. Now, I am on my fouth tank of gas without any problems whatsoever.

I don't think alcohol will do that kind of damage to your injector. Do you have a bad fuel filter that you didn't know about??

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
WOOOOOAAAA.
I dont think the alcohol will cause this problem, probably another component of that injector cleaning solution.
Gasolines contain two substances to give them the octane; alcohol and organic solvents.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've used a variety of injector cleaners and never had this problem. Is it possible you got some bad gas? I'd run through the tank and if it happens on the next tank too, we can start diagnosing.

It could be that particular brand of cleaner, but it seems unlikely.

Keep us updated. Personally, I've never heard of injectors going bad on these cars, but I'm sure its possible.

-Ian

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i've been through 3 tanks of gas since this has happened and its still LOUD....
maybe its just a timing problem, but i dont see how that could all happen after i put in the fluid...i dont think the gas is the problem, i go to that station all the time and only get Mobil/Exxon 93-octane... :???:

i figured i could just fix this problem on my own, but it looks like i'll have to take it to the stealership...i really hope this isn't gonna empty my pockets :cry:

·
Registered
87 Posts
BG44K best stuff out there. Had an Emission Workshop CEL....multi lean condition. Ran a can of BG44K drove 20 miles and the light went off. Didn't even have to reset anything.

·
Registered
261 Posts
All fuel treatment/cleaners have alcohol in them. The alcohol bonds to any water that is in the gas tank and allows it to be burned. How many miles is on the car and when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? I change mine every 25k-30k.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts