Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had a 79 Rabbit Diesel during the fuel crisis back then. They were not as much fun to drive as the GTI that came along in 83, and I doubt that the TDI will be as much fun to drive as a chipped 1.8. I was getting about 35 mpg until I put the bigger turbo in. So all in all, I will keep the gas engine and pay the little extra fuel costs.

BTW, diesels require special mixed fuel in the winter or you can have jell problems in your fuel lines. And there is the glow plugs to contend with. I had my share of problems with my diesel.

Regards, Ray

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also shared the same love for Diesels. For some reason, I also find that I longed for the "sweet clatter" of the diesel engine. The simplicity, efficiency, and tolerence of the diesel is just awesome, plus the only engine with potential of using bio-fuel.

It would be nice if VW is coming out with a diesel hybrid in the future, or maybe even something of a bio-diesel hybrid. The mind boggles... :weirdo:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Someone will need to explain why all you NA guys want diesels and can't get them. Is it the poor grade of diesel (low sulphur levels) for the PD diesels? If so why do VW not import the non-pd diesels.I'm sure you'd settle for a 110 1.9 or a 150 V6TDi.

Maybe uncle sam is afrais you'll all start to drive them and gas sales will plumit !

Anyway as an owner of 2 of VW's TDi's ( a Vento 90bhp and a chipped-albeit tuning boxed 110 variant B5) , you don't need me to tell you why you should be driving one

BTW what is a coilpack :lol:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I had the 78' Rabbit diesel while attending college. Drove it from Orono to Key West for spring break, $80 round trip!!! The ME winters were difficult though, sometime fuel gels. Once when -38F I let it run all night. What is really amazing is that ole 1.5 diesel engine is of similar block stock as the 1.8T gas powerplant of today.

A fact - you cannot buy a new TDI in Maine, or 4 other States cause of air pollution laws.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I'm a diesel fiend, too - not for performance reasons, but for reliability. Have had great experiences with passenger diesels in this regards (>20 yrs ownership of same vehicle). My ideal car would be a minivan, 6-cyl diesel and 4-motion. Good mileage, decent power, good traction, ability to tow, and a great around-town hauler in terms of capacity and comfort. Anyone listening??? No, I guess I'm only dreaming...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Hornet - Check www.multivan.de you'll have to do it in German, but I think you will find several models such as the Comfortline TDI 128 4 motion

V6 TDI with 4 motion. I think you have to Tip tranny with the 4 motion in the van though... I didn't read that far. They do offer the 6 speed in the FWD model.

Import duty will suck, but you might be able to bring it in parts. Someday, cars will roam the earth free of borders and import duties...

Trekkie - Don't bet the farm on your passing gear. The TDI could surprise you at 65 mph.

Roberto - Do have a hammer in your hand? I think you hit the nail on the head. Hopefully our oil compaines will wake up and smell the diesel soon.

Cheers,

Carl III

·
Registered
481 Posts
ckatkinson said:
Roberto - Do have a hammer in your hand? I think you hit the nail on the head. Hopefully our oil compaines will wake up and smell the diesel soon.

Carl III
In the UK diesel is approx80p/litre, but in france it is approx 50p/litre.

Go figure. In fact I go about once a month !( to france)

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I wrote a ten-page technical report on biodiesel and even made some for my "Industrial Apllications of Organic Chemistry" lab class, now my friend's writing his research paper for an English 200 class on biodiesel, it's so damn easy to make, all you need you can find at your grocery and hardware stores. That's why the people who run the country who also have invested heavily in petroleum are so aver to increasing consumer awareness of the ease of use and simplicity of Rudolf Diesel's greatest invention that was designed to run on peanut oil. :mad:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Has anyone here ever been to NREL here in Denver?

NREL = National Renewable Energy Labs. Neat place and are they high on the new generation of diesels coming out!

The Bio fuels are the wave of the future according to them. They have several test cars they play with quite offten. One of them is a MK III Jetta TDi. That thing is tweeked in some very odd ways. :???: :lol:
They also have some displays of these really cool roofing shingles that are tougher than most standard roofing shingles, but they are also solar panels that can supply all the needed electricity to a 2000 sqr/ft house durning the day. Expencis? Yes, but again the future is here already. All we need to do is embrace it.

And yes, I love my 1.8T gas eater, but maybe it's time to reconcider. Besides, way back when gas engines first made the scene, their power output wasn't all that great. Given the demand and the time, diesel engines will someday make amazing power too out of smaller displacement engines. 8) :)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
OH MY GAWD!!!! You're a CHEATER! Aren't you! You probably use NAWSSSSS on your gas engines too! :weirdo: :poke: :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
254 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.