Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some of the past postings on fuel doors not closing. Today, on my 03 passat and my wife's 03 jetta the fuel doors were opened and will not close. We both got our vehicles washed a day ago and I believe the plastic tab in front of the metal one is frozen inside the housing. We're in an apartment in the cold northeast and have no way of getting a hair dryer out there to warm it up. Anybody have any ideas? TIA

BTW my ignition switch was not functioning below 0 degrees F and I hear there is a nationwide backorder for this part. Luckily my switch failed earlier and I got one last week. My dealer, overall, is slow, has no parts in stock and is not very customer friendly. Drives me nuts -- :mad:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I shot some lub (not much) inside and tapped it with a screw driver and the tab has been working fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
backordered parts !!

my ignition switch/ housing is back ordered too (1998 Passat). the dealer has had the car sitting on their lot for 3 weeks. they tell me it could be 2-4 more weeks to receive the part. is VW supposed to be a well run company?? you dont just "run out of" parts for your product line! WHAT A JOKE. :???:
this explains why the O2 sensor for my 1992 8V Jetta costed $320 in 1996. they have poor inventory control. Jeez, I want my car back so i can trade it in for a reliable Japanese car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a real shame...I love my car but getting the dealer to get the parts and install them takes forever. This is a real nightmare for someone who absolutely needs their car all the time. To not have your car for 6 weeks is unacceptable. VW MUST address this problem or a majority of their customers will go elsewhere for their next purchase. This is my third VW in a row - and if things don't change it will be my last.

BTW, Mardigan - what lub did you use, WD40 or what? I guess the real moral of the story is after you wash while under 32 degrees, you gotta make sure that mechanism in there is dried off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used Pyroil Silicone Lubricant, a little different from WD-40 in that it lubricates instead of just degreasing. Not sure if it's the best choice but it seems to have worked good so far. No problems since and it's been in the 20's (F) here for weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts