Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Since the middle of winter, the electronic fuel door release on my '99 B5 doesn't work. If you try to close the door by pressing it closed (like normal) it won't lock in place. Also, if you try pushing the release in the car, there are no electronic unlatching sound like there should be.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks!
Bryan

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Either you mechanism is burned out or stuck in the back. Or your CCM may be faulty or suffering from bad wiring. It shouldn't both not make a sound and not close, unless you had to force it open. First step would be to undo the carpet on the right rear side of the trunk, you will see the mechanism, remove it via two screws and see if anything looks broken, or stuck. Or post up a picture.

Unless you are using the lock out feature on the door???

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Antoddio said:
Either you mechanism is burned out or stuck in the back. Or your CCM may be faulty or suffering from bad wiring. It shouldn't both not make a sound and not close, unless you had to force it open. First step would be to undo the carpet on the right rear side of the trunk, you will see the mechanism, remove it via two screws and see if anything looks broken, or stuck. Or post up a picture.

Unless you are using the lock out feature on the door???
Thanks for the reply :)

I did kind of force the fuel door open once (by prying it open with my key), because we had a lot of ice and it was stuck. I don't remember forcing it hard though, and I can't remember if this is when the problem first started :(

I doubt that it is my CCM, because I just had all of the CCM wiring fixed about 6 months ago.

I will take a look at the mechanism as you suggest. I am not sure what the "lock out" feature is that you speak of?

Thanks again,
Bryan

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Yea, you broke the mechanism most likely, I did it too. The lock out feature is on the driver's door, you insert you key and turn and it disables the trunk and gas door locks. Not sure if all models have them. The lock part is only about an inch from the flap release so if you don't see it right away, you prob don't have it.

I just mentioned the CCM because on mine it controls that flap. Just keep that in mind I guess since you recently had work there. The mechanism isn't tough to take out.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Antoddio said:
Yea, you broke the mechanism most likely, I did it too. The lock out feature is on the driver's door, you insert you key and turn and it disables the trunk and gas door locks. Not sure if all models have them. The lock part is only about an inch from the flap release so if you don't see it right away, you prob don't have it.

I just mentioned the CCM because on mine it controls that flap. Just keep that in mind I guess since you recently had work there. The mechanism isn't tough to take out.

This lock-out feature has nothing to do with the actual lock cylinder of the driver's door, does it? Are you supposed to insert your key into some other hole?

Well, at least the good thing is the weather is getting nicer, so it won't be so bad to pull things apart in my trunk :)

Regards,
Bryan

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
No nothing with the door lock cylinder. The lock I am talking about it below the window controls on the lower section of the driver's door, next to the fuel release and trunk release. It's not hidden at all, so you probably don't have it.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, you are right; I don't have that feature. Also, my fuel door release is in the centre of my car close to the emergency brake.

Regards,
Bryan

·
Registered
90 Posts
was this issue ever resolved..same problem in my car but when i press the button under the ebrake i hear nothing..checked the fuses too..i had to manually open the door by pushing the rod and it popped open..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ive been looking for this one too....
One day the switch just stopped opening the fuel door..
I took out the switch, and tested with voltmeter and works as it should:
I tested voltage at leads at the rear "motor/actuator" and it reads 12V when you close the switch:
I took out the motor, and it runs when hooked up to a power supply:
anyone know how the CCM actually controls this latch motor?
anyone have the same issue that got fixed; before we go buying new motors?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
anyone know how the CCM actually controls this latch motor?
No, remote fuel tank door release is an independent system and it has nothing to do with CCM. The circuit is a little different between B5 and B5.5. For B5, the positive is from fuse 38 in fuse holder which also provides power to all four door control modules. It goes through the switch then to the motor for fuel tank door unlock. For B5.5 the positive is from fuse 14 in fuse holder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem with the fuel release here (I have to pull the lever manually from the trunk) + my lighter also stopped working + the remote opens only the driver's door and trunk :( Checked fuse 38 and almost every fuse that has to do with fuel, lightning/locks, etc. and all are fine.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
1996_b5_1.8T, if you want help with your car, start your own thread. This thread is 10 years old.

Post the details on your car... maybe your user name has that information, but the B5 wasn't introduced until 1998 in the US. If your car is actually a 1996, are you sure it's a B5?. Regardless, post the color of your instrument cluster lighting (illumination) (green verses blue), since that determines which electrical schematic applies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts