Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the true fuel tank capacity for a 99 1.8T? The manual says 16.3 gal. but yesterday I filled my tank with 16.361 gallons and my low fuel indicator light had not gone on yet. My trip meter said 431 miles and the computer said I averaged 27.3 mpg which would indicate that I used 15.79 gallons. Am I missing something here or am I getting jacked by the gas station? I may be having problems with my low fuel indicator, but still I would not expect to fill up 16.361 gallons. TIA.

·
Registered
481 Posts
From memory, the capacity is approx. 70L

What should be of more concern is the range you are getting. If I get less that 600 mile son a tank, I know I have been clogging it.
As for the MFA computer they are only approx as well.The most accurate device you have mentioned is the one at your gas station.I expect thatis checked and calibrated on a regular basis.The one on your car is not !

·
Registered
164 Posts
WOW, the most I have ever put in was 15.7 gallons, and that was when I ran out of gas :eek:h:

I have a '99 wagon

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Great Roberto said:
From memory, the capacity is approx. 70L

What should be of more concern is the range you are getting. If I get less that 600 mile son a tank, I know I have been clogging it.
As for the MFA computer they are only approx as well.The most accurate device you have mentioned is the one at your gas station.I expect thatis checked and calibrated on a regular basis.The one on your car is not !
Wow! 600 miles on a tank? TDI? Let us know your secret. :)

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
15.7, and that with having to force the car (not a good thing by the way) into the gas station, i was DRY!!. i had to keep reving up past 2500 rpm to keep it running for a few more hundred yards :crazy: .

·
Registered
191 Posts
I once put 16.5 gallons in my tank. I think my manual says the tank is 16.2 gallons. I just figured I filled the tank and the fill tube. I was bone dry. It was when I used to commute to Philadelphia everyday from Allentown. I had 450 miles on the trip odometer. When I got off the Turnpike and paid my toll, I went to pull out and it sputtered. I gave it the old NASCAR shake back and forth and made it another 2.5 miles to the gas station.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think you're getting jacked by the gas station. It is a well known (and illegal but hardley enforced) trick to run the meter a little "fast" on the pumps. Call you state agency of weights and measures and report your suspicions. Then, arrange for a little "accident" for the station owners. Bwahahahahah

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wow...I used to have a TDI and I forgot how economical they are.

My W8 takes about 75 litres on a fill up, costing £56 for standard unleaded, and I get an average of 275 miles out of this lot with a mixture of motorway and town driving...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
w8cmp
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing