Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brand new, still in the box. This precision CNC manufactured AWE lightweight B5 Sedan flywheel weighs 12 lbs. (stock OEM 25 lbs.) so installed user gets much quicker revs and claims of 20 added HP. Paid $499.00 from AWE, however I now see they have a sale on this flywheel for $399.00. + of course shipping, (about $25) I will let this puppy go for $370 shipped in the US. Pay Pal ready...

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
that sure is purdy.
In case some of you don't know...that is also a change out friction plate.
why do you have to own a B5, why is it a 1.8, why!

That has JayTheSnork written all over it!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Kit came with a Sachs plate and Southbend pressure with OEM throwout, AWE add states 99-01.5 sedan manual tranny of course.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
that sure is purdy.
In case some of you don't know...that is also a change out friction plate.
why do you have to own a B5, why is it a 1.8, why!

That has JayTheSnork written all over it!
except I bet this is only for the 1.8T, and not the V6.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
On my AEB the half-weight flywheel is a blast to drive. I don't know about the HP gain claim, but I can vouche for the fact that your RPMs climb quicker, and concomitantly drop just as quickly. It's not a weight thing but mass influencing inertia (Ernst Mach Principle). It feels like you have 20 more HP since the RPMs climb quicker. I'm not so sure you gain the HP claimed.

Go for it whoever considers the upgrade. Of course this upgrade should go hand in hand with a clutch upgrade.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This B5-B5.5 AWE lightweight flywheel sells by itself for $399. (on sale right now) or comes in a stage 1,2 or 3 kit which use Spec friction plates and Southbend pressure plates, but fairly sure Spec pressure plates are fine too, (please confirm) AWE just perfers Southbend with there race proven testing. All aftermarket clutch kits I have seen, utilize an OEM throwout bearing. Stage 1&2 offer a "like stock" pedal feel and launch however, stage 3 is a pain in the bum for daily driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts