Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ebay recently had a F-18A up for auction. It got pulled very quickly. IIRC, the seller got a visit from the FBI.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
The seller is the same guy who was selling the F18. One really cool thing about the Mig 29 is that it can be made to "hover" while pointing directly up. I saw video on it once, and it was awesome.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'd still buy a fully loaded brand new Cessna Stationair or Piper Saratoga, as well as an Extra 300 to get my jollies.... :wink: I'll pocket the change.... :lol: Besides It'll require less work on my ratings to fly the above two planes :thumbup:

·
Loose female member
4,885 Posts
BooRadley said:
The seller is the same guy who was selling the F18. One really cool thing about the Mig 29 is that it can be made to "hover" while pointing directly up. I saw video on it once, and it was awesome.
Hover? I think that was more "Stalling with grace" Cool to watch though.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Is this a two-seater? If yes, it would make a perfect corporate jet for my company. No more waiting at the security checkpoint or flying on those shitty regional jets! Zoom-zoom! :lol:

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
OneGuyInCA said:
Hovering kinda like the Harrier? :thumbup:
No, the tail points at the ground, the nose at the sky, and it just sorta sits there for a little while, maybe creeping in the direction of its belly. It's trippy.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
V6er said:
BooRadley said:
It's called the cobra maneuver and basically a controlled stall designed to rapidly decrease their speed when a pursuing enemy fighter aircraft is on their tail. So the hunter becomes the hunted. The Russian test pilots showing off the SU-27 at Paris Air Show is really awesome.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
idale said:
Hmm, can't find the Blue Book value of the MiG 29. How do I know if I'm getting a good deal or not? :lol:
search the 'completed items', silly.

·
Loose female member
4,885 Posts
powerslide23 said:
V6er said:
BooRadley said:
It's called the cobra maneuver and basically a controlled stall designed to rapidly decrease their speed when a pursuing enemy fighter aircraft is on their tail. So the hunter becomes the hunted. The Russian test pilots showing off the SU-27 at Paris Air Show is really awesome.
Here is an interesting link explaining the 'Cobra' Seems as most 'real' fighter pilots regard it as a airshow stunt.
There are some good pictures too

http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/RAFAQ/cobra.html

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
V6er said:
powerslide23 said:
V6er said:
BooRadley said:
Here is an interesting link explaining the 'Cobra' Seems as most 'real' fighter pilots regard it as a airshow stunt.

It sounded that more actually regard it as a technical prowess of the MIG/SU design. ANd many believe the merits when close A-A encounter. The plane in the US arsenal that has thrust vectoring is still in the initial production stages i.e. F-22 Raptor. :bow: to the MIG/SU designs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There is a guy in Lockhaven PA that has one of these and flies it around fairly often, or at least he did until shortly after 9/11 he flew up on 2 patrolling Navy jets and was almost shot down :weirdo: ... It is pretty strange to see flying around

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
powerslide23 said:
V6er said:
powerslide23 said:
V6er said:
BooRadley said:

It sounded that more actually regard it as a technical prowess of the MIG/SU design. ANd many believe the merits when close A-A encounter. The plane in the US arsenal that has thrust vectoring is still in the initial production stages i.e. F-22 Raptor. :bow: to the MIG/SU designs.
FWIW, during ACM/ACT one of the primary objectives is to get the other guy to come into your envelope. Very simply put ACM is about angles (an aircrafts turning ability) and energy (speed and altitude). Generally speaking, in any dogfight you want as much energy as possible (e.i. high and fast).

With that in mind, is the “cobra” a viable during ACM? A few Russians have been quoted saying as much…although admittedly only as a last resort. Honestly I’m not sure they even buy it. We would not teach such a maneuver. The pilot that attempts this would bleed all his energy and put himself at a significant disadvantage…slow and predictable. There are viable vertical maneuvers in ACM/ACT but I don’t think the cobra is one of them. The Su and Mig are very capable aircraft that don’t need to really on such a move. Even if you did accept the principle of a possible over-shoot from this maneuver, another principle of ACT/ACM would solve the issue…that being your wingman (whose purpose is to threaten the target and prevent reversal). Ultimately, we won’t know until one is performed in combat. However, good energy management, good weapons knowledge and employment within parameters, and good tactics combined with a good wingman and good BFM throughout the experience will always win. The same holds true for the guy in the Su/Mig if he does his stuff right.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
18 Participants
Johnny B5.5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing