Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All:

So I reported here that I got my new Mille Miglia wheels and Falken tires a couple weeks ago ... these:

I love the wheels, but yesterday I noticed a small vibration on the freeway. Figured a weight had just fallen off, so I took them back to where I bought the tires to have them re-balance them. They found that the left front wheel was bent so far out of shape that it is ruined. The damned thing is warped so bad, I'm surprised I could drive it. The guys asked me what the heck I hit and I have hit NOTHING. I would definitely know if I hit a pothole big enough to do that kind of damage OR if I hit a curb. I haven't hit anything.

So, I'm now waiting on a new wheel and extremely upset. There are two possibilities here... 1. a "standard" San Francisco pothole RUINED the wheel (the streets here are pretty bad, but I know I didn't hit anything big) or 2. the mechanic at Royal Motors who test drove my car did the damage.

Has anyone had experience with Mille Miglia or any other 5-spoke wheel that where they bent REALLY easily? Truth is, if I did that kind of damage on a any pothole I hit in the last two weeks, the rest of the wheels will be ruined in a matter of months. I just can't believe wheels that appear to be of that high quality could be ruined that easily.

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
i have MM 17'' split 5 spoke ''action wheels''

and yes, they are pretty easy to bend, one pot hole put a flat spot on two of my wheels.

click 4 pics of my wheels \\//

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Wheels

I have 18x8 evo 5 and I run 240-45-18 and seem to be OK so far. It is a little more cushion for the 18's. I bought the rims used and the one had a slight bend on the inner lip and I have yet to feel anything and we drive long trips like crazy. I realize the tire is a little big for the car but I spaced them 3mm out and they work fine and so far no bending and our roads in PA are horrible. Did you think about getting the bent one fixed? It costs $100 to have a rim straightened at a wheelcollisioncenter if there is no face damage. I may get mine fixed one day if I ever feel a vibration. Good Luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got a set of Borbet type E 17" my wife hit a pot hole doing about 55mph
Broke the right front and bent the right rear.
lucky for me the company doing road repair bought me new ones..

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This wheel is bent well beyond repair and I have NO recollection of htting anything hard enough that any sort of damage should have been done. 16 years driving in this city and I bent one wheel, slightly, and that was such a hard hit that I thought the entire suspension MUST have been broken.

There is no reason for the damage that wheel took

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Cycles said:
This wheel is bent well beyond repair and I have NO recollection of htting anything hard enough that any sort of damage should have been done. 16 years driving in this city and I bent one wheel, slightly, and that was such a hard hit that I thought the entire suspension MUST have been broken.

There is no reason for the damage that wheel took
Maybe the wheel was bent during shipping? I use to work for UPS and yes I must say throwing packages around was a normal thing to do. It really did not matter what it was. :roll:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, but I can only wish that was the problem. Naw, I drove it for a few weeks and they were perfect when they arrived.

The only thing I can think might have happened was the mechanic who drove it when I took it into VW to get the 20k tuneup done a week ago. Very possible he did it... and there is no way I can prove it. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.