Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over Xmas my wife and I flew from Boston to San Francisco to visit her parents, then rented a car to drive to Tahoe to do a little skiing. As we got near Truckee, the temperature dropped and the wiper fluid stopped working. I assumed it was empty but when I stopped at a gas station I saw the reservoir was nearly full. To make a long story short, I finally determined the fluid lines were frozen -- apparently the fluid was a "summer" formula that does not include anti-freeze additives. Coming from a cold climate, I did not know that such a thing even existed. Anyway, after calling the rental company (Enterprise) to complain, they were totally blase and unapologetic -- they said that "everyone" in the Bay Area used this type of wiper fluid and they didn't even think the other type (that doesn't freeze) was stocked in the area. Then they even added that this happens "all the time" to people who drive their rental cars from the Bay Area to the mountains. I found it shocking that they could be so indifferent to what seems to me to be a real safety issue (I had to pull the car over on I-80 several times to clean the windshield). Anyway, this was mostly venting, but I'm curious to hear from other Bay Area residents to learn whether it is true that you can't get antifreeze wiper fluid in that area.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Don't complain to the renatl place, compain to area manadgement. Those kids in the shop couldn't care less about anything in the world.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts