Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to the Chicago area, and now in winter washer jets don't spray the fluid. Previously I did use washer fluid, but not sure if its meant for such low temperatures or not. Yesterday, I top off with new washer fluid (which says won't freeze upto -25F) but I don't think the tank was empty because it top off upto brim with just little bit of fluid. Now, if the previous fluid has frozen up how can I get it out?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
perhaps you warm it up with an incandescent light overnight?

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
Wait for a warm day, or check it after a good long run. Trying to get out the ice any other way is a recipe for disaster. Oh, and not to further depress you, but last time that happened to me (not on a B5) the ice destroyed the washer pump when it froze.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
Open the hood and look at the nozzles. mine squirted out some slush at first. After a good warm run, let it sit for a few minutes to allow the engine to heat soak the rest of the engine bay. It should defrost the system to allow you to cycle thru the new nonfreezing fluid.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
Go figure German engineering heats our washer nozzles, but not the reservoir.
That's why you should proactively put cold weather washer fluid in before it gets extremely cold.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
Go figure German engineering heats our washer nozzles, but not the reservoir.
I don't believe it ever occurred to them people might not take care of their cars "correctly" - which, I assume, includes proactively using the appropriate washer fluid. The nozzles are heated so they don't plug with ice from outside.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a similar experience with some of the blue washer fluid, supposedly rated to -25F but froze at much higher temps.

I bought some denatured alcohol at the hardware store, as I think this is what is used in the fluid to lower the freezing point. I added as much as the tank would hold, and once it thawed out it stayed thawed.

Started buying better fluid after that.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
this is why you get the stuff that works down to 0F.

i would believe that if it truely did completely freeze, that there could be damage to the washer pump.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
this is why you get the stuff that works down to 0F.

i would believe that if it truely did completely freeze, that there could be damage to the washer pump.
all depends on the temp. remember, there is a certain point below freezing where H2O expands for a bit as temperature decreases... that's what damages the washer pump - it blows the case open.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so today I checked it again, and it hasn't frozen, but still no spray from from the nozzle.....:confused:

·
Registered
281 Posts
this happened to me not to long ago. We were hit with unusual cold weather (-20 celsius) in early November. The summer Rain-x fluid froze so i waited until it melted and just used it all up so i could top it off with rain-x ice fluid. problem solved :D

·
Registered
750 Posts
i stupidly put the wrong kind of washer fluid in during the fall/early winter last year. i ended up spraying some de-icer into the tank and with the engine warm some of the heat in there helped to thaw it out. and i just used that fluid as fast as i could. when it was all flushed out i put the good kind in and even in the summer now i make sure i get the good fluid so i never have to worry about it again. lesson was learned for me.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Dumb question, how are the washer jets heated? What system is in place to heat them, the same way we heat our mirrors with a switch?

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
good question. It shold be either connected to the mirror or rear defroster circuit, methinks. Possibly even the front defrost position of the vents.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Reading through my owners manual, it states the heated washer nozzles are automatically activated dependent upon the outside temperature. Doing a search here resulted in some members claiming activation via the heated exterior mirror switch. You might possibly find the answer by doing some serious wiring diagram research.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
all depends on the temp. remember, there is a certain point below freezing where H2O expands for a bit as temperature decreases... that's what damages the washer pump - it blows the case open.
that is a very good point, but don't forget that attempted use of the pump as it's frozen and held can also lead to issues.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
alcohol is mixed with the winter washer fluid. but taking into account the windchill factor a -40 celcius fluid will freeze up on the windshield even if the temperature is -20 celcius.

·
Registered
248 Posts
In Germany, typical supermarket winter washer fluid contains 80% ethanol which protects down to -76˚F neat.
It is usually used neat as it then acts as a deicer on a frosty or icy screen.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts