Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2002 Passat. Got new tires this weekend and when they went to do the alignment they told me my front tie rods were frozen. Am I better off just replacing both outer and inner tie rod rather? Also what specific tools will I need to get it out? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Update your location (your geographical area does make a difference with questions like this).

Depends on your maontenance philosophy and how long you're planning on keeping the car. My outers are sloppy, my inners aren't frozen but I'm changing both at the same time.

YMMV ;)

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
I had new ones put in and 5 months later went to get re-aligned had had to change them both again ..they suck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I live in Boston, MA so I'm not surprised in the least that they're frozen after 8 winters here. Car has only 61K on the odometer so I'd like to get up to at least 100K. Not have car payments for the past 5 years has been great!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
My passenger side was seized up... I tried to get things broken loose on the car, but didn't have much luck after a few hours of trying. I finally ended up pulling the entire assembly (inner + outer) and breaking them apart in a vice. I managed to re-use the inner (with a hefty amount of anti-seize), but if I had to do it again, I'd just buy the compete assembly and be done with it.

We do have replacements available here on the website if needed:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...&utm_content=postreply&utm_campaign=postreply

I used the Lemforder S4 versions and was quite happy with them after I got them installed and had the car aligned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice John. I'm leaning that way myself. Don't want to spend hours on something that will probably be just easier to swap out. Did you have to use the special 38mm crowfoot or just a big crescent wrench to get the inner tie rod out?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I actually didn't have a 38mm crowfoot, or a adjustable wrench that went that big, so I ended up using a pipe wrench. After fighting with the outer for at least 2 hours, I slipped the pipe wrench on the inner, gave it a bump with the heel of my hand and had the entire thing out in under a minute.

·
Registered
152 Posts
order the parts from ECS and spray the parts with penetrating lube until it arrives. Take the parts to the alignment shop and say "please sort this out for me, I usually do this myself but have a date tomorrow and want clean hands, I already sprayed some lube to help you out"

The extra cost while they are in there for the alignment etc will be minimal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts