Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I might be having another crisis with my ol' girl... I have a faint hope that what I'm experiencing is a frozen up PCV system, and I'm hoping that you all can shed some light for me:
Today, out of the blue, I went to leave work and had a HUGE cloud of blue blowing out the exhaust.... No warning, no previous smoke, no rough idle, no codes (except my trusty p0411) turbo makes boost and has no noises.... The sickening part was when I got her home, I thought to pull the dip-stick with the engine running and had a goodly puff of pressure come out and noticed that mayonaisy looking wet oil stuff on the upper portion of the dip stick.... Now, the reason I'm thinking "frozen up PCV" system is because I've been doing a lot of very short drives, seldom coming up to operating temp (I know, I know, that's the worst thing in the world for any motor, though in my own defense I do periodically drive the long way home just to warm her up).
I'm seriously hoping that it's just that, and not something major like rings, which is the only other culprit I would suspect, BWTHDIK.
I'm trying to thaw my garage out right now.... but we're due for a super seriously major cold snap tonight and tomorrow, so I'll be lucky to get it above freezing in my garage before sometime next week.... too cold tonight to have a hope of working on it.
What do you all think it could be? PCV? or am I fubared?

Edit:
Just thinking out loud here, as much to clarify things in my own mind, feel free to chime in:

-Cold temps today... really cold, even for Canada
-history of short run times... bad, very bad, for internal engine condensation....
-head gasket has only 10k mi, not a known failure point in these cars
-no coolant loss, see above
-turbo reasably new, wasn't blowing smoke this morning, no noise, makes boost
-not likely to be valves or seats or guides or I'd have more other problems (wouldn't I?)
-couldn't be timing (see above)
-pressure inside crank case (big clue?) never an issue before, always has that pulse feeling, though it's been at least a few months since I've done the "dollar bill test"
-water in oil, new development, but no coolant loss ---> lots of condensation; lots's of condensation = water; water + cold = frozen water. PCV? presuure pushed oils past rings... ? right?

therefore: thawing out entire motor and running to op temp ~should~ solve problem....

fu*#% I hate winter

more edit: googles not turned up anything beyond the usual suspects: turbo seals and head gaskets amongst others, just in case ya all were thinking I didn't bother searching before posting.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
it actually sounds plausible, Bob. I'd run it for half an hour or more, after checking the oil level; then, bring it back to the exact same spot, and re-check the oil level. when I say, "...run it..." I don't mean idling in the driveway - take it out for a jaunt. get it out on the highway, and let it get up to operating temp and stay there for a bit.

it's been cold here even in southern New England, and my daughter literally has been driving the car to and from work - about 1.5 miles. the car doesn't get a chance to warm up at all. I changed her oil last weekend, and boy was there a load of curdled chocolate milk on the oil fill cap.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, Jay. I'm sure that was the only reason I got any sleep last night...
Anywhooo... an update: Seems to be good now. Thawed her out overnight and just now fired her up. No over pressure in the crank-case so I breathed a sigh of relief that ran right down to my toes. Gonna take her for a spin right now: fingers crossed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts