Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as those of you in the northeast US know, we've had lots of freezing and thawing lately with a goodly amount of precipitation, both frozen and not. my wife's Nissan Quest has large passenger doors where gaskets meet and seal all the way around the doors; when water works its way into that area, the doors sometimes freeze shut and can not be opened unless hot water is poured around the gasket seals.

is there anything that can be put/sprayed/wiped on the gasket area to preclude the doors from freezing shut? thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
we used to just run the heat before we got in to thaw out the doors. or all go in the front doors.

WD-40 seems like your best bet.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,905 Posts
Check ecstuning, they sell this paste type thing, it looks like a glue stick and it keeps the rubber gaskets from freezing to the doors, it worked great when I used it.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Sorry. You may be SOL. In more than 30 yrs of New England auto ownership, cannot say I have never seen the magic solution to an icy door gasket. Shelter is an obvoius way out. No garage? How about the cheapo tent type? Been seeing more of them around in recent years.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,711 Posts
hes got a 2 car garage but he keeps no cars in it :poke:

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,711 Posts
anyway jay on a serious note cooking spray works great been using it for a few years, spray a little on a rag and coat the gasket with it and you should be good to go :thumbup:

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
The fuel door on one of my FIL's Jags froze shut. Got a $2 can of lock deicer from Autozone (white bottle, came with a WD40 type of straw) and a minimal amount popped it open in about a second.

If the cooking spray works, that's fantastic. If not, this stuff will absolutely get it taken care of.

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to build a shed this summer - the frigging tools are running amok in the garage!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
as those of you in the northeast US know, we've had lots of freezing and thawing lately with a goodly amount of precipitation, both frozen and not. my wife's Nissan Quest has large passenger doors where gaskets meet and seal all the way around the doors; when water works its way into that area, the doors sometimes freeze shut and can not be opened unless hot water is poured around the gasket seals.

is there anything that can be put/sprayed/wiped on the gasket area to preclude the doors from freezing shut? thanks in advance...
Get some rubber protectant on the seals.

I personally use Gummi Pflege

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
I don't have a magic solution for you Jay but I know the answer certainly is not to pour more water on the door (hot or otherwise). What happens with that water when it cools again?!

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't have a magic solution for you Jay but I know the answer certainly is not to pour more water on the door (hot or otherwise). What happens with that water when it cools again?!
I left the door open until there was no way it could ice up again. ;)

the only problem is, you drive the car in all sorts of weather, and when it gets cold at night, voila - doors are iced shut again... whatever was put on it from the factory is wearing off (it is a 2007).

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
I leave my Audi outside during the winter as well. The only time I have issues is when I run it through the car wash and don't get the door jams dried out well. Even then I may end up with some frozen doors (there has been a time or two over the years where I needed to crawl through the rear hatch :) ). You can spray de-ice into the lock cylinder but that won't keep a wet seal from freezing. Aside from that, the only thing I can tell you is limit the amount of water (ie washing) that you're doing.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
coat those rubber seals in something like a di-electric grease. stuff is terribly cheap and works well. doesn't run off like WD either.

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not using WD40. I'll try the cooking spray on a rag first, a little later today.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
303 when it's warmer...or plumber's silicone grease. When new, they're powdered with talc or a similar powder.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts