Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day.

I am doing a TBelt - VCG - Came Seals - Chain Tensioner Gasket Job and the only major issue is the front coolant bleed bolt being FROZEN. Sucker won't budge.

Need Help:

1) anyone know how to leave it as is and use some unordthodox method to bleed/flush/fill the system?

2) anyone know how to get it out without taking more stuff off as it looks like a bear to get the tube/hoseremoved? I am at the point of pulling the Tbelt pullys and .... (front end of the car is swung away to the side).

Thanks!

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
you can bleed by pulling back the line on the heater core connections to expose a hole. search for flush write ups and it will show you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I thought I am supposed to bleed from the heater core and the front on the v6???

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Thanks - I thought I am supposed to bleed from the heater core and the front on the v6???
Your are correct. Last time I flushed my cooling system on my V6 I only bled it from the front bleed screw. That bleed port is the highest point on a V6 cooling system. I would make a diligent effort to get that screw out. Maybe vice grips around the edges? Or maybe a large bolt extractor (external type) tapped on with a hammer?

GL!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I will second that. Bleeding a V6 from the heater core line only is insufficient. I have done it that way and thought I was good. Went out for a test drive and the temps kept on rising. I could not get it to cycle due to the large air pocket. I had to stop mid drive to let it cool a bit and then drove it home. Fortunately it did cycle on its own but there was still more air. I will never do it that way again.

The Bentley procedures were written for a purpose...they work!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all - got her out after building a tinfoil heat sheild and blasting it with the torch. Of course, the dealer doesn't have them in stock so I have to wait, but that is OK.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
aaand then there is a better way...

per additional instructions for bleeding vw coolant systems, you hold the rpm at 2k for 3 - 5 minutes, then you let it idle til the radiator fan kicks on. i've found this to work on my passat v6, and my 1.8t jetta both.just keep the reservoir at the highest point, and all the air will be shot out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts