Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the passenger side axle on my v6, and the upper control arm ball joints are really ruining my day. I got the mounting nut off, but I can't get the long bolt (what size is it? m10x100?) out. I've sprayed it with penetrant two days in a row and the damn thing is still so rusted in place that it won't move. I've been pounding on it with a mallet for an hour and nothing moves. I've tried turning it (16mm 1/2" drive socket and a long breaker bar) but it seems reeaaally close to just snapping the head off.

The Bentley lists some magical vw tool that can press it out, but is there an alternative method?? Anyone? Anyone?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
In all fairness to the OP, we commonly call it the pinch bolt (and other less socially acceptable names), but without knowing that, a search wouldn't come up with good results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I managed to get the bolt out by cutting it and using the original nut to extract it. And yeah, if the bentley called it the pinch bolt, I'd have been all set. 8 years of michigan winters really did a number on that bolt.

Thanks guys. Now if I can remember how I got the axle out, I should be able to get it back in. :)

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Welcome to the pinch bolt club. Would now be a good time to tell you that there is a way to get the axles out without opening up the suspension?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
Welcome to the pinch bolt club. Would now be a good time to tell you that there is a way to get the axles out without opening up the suspension?
it's a tough go to put in an axle on a V6 on the passenger side without opening up the suspension, gents.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Might be worth greasing the new bolt a bit to help slow down the seizing in case you need to get it out again in the future? Reckon I'm gonna loosen mine every year from now on :)

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
I used anti-seize compound, and they come out like cutting warm butter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts